Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Missouri Breaks Muleys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2004, 05:20 PM

Re: Missouri Breaks Muleys

[ QUOTE ]
uncyboo, all I can see is a little box with a red X in it. Is anyone else seeing the picture he posted? I would very much like to see it if it's a muley buck.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, maybe this will work better. (changed pic host)
Old 12-20-2004, 06:11 PM
SPONSOR

uncyboo, that is one funky looking muley buck. Great brow tines for a mule deer as well. With that petite body of yours, coupled with that bad-azz looking rifle, you look like a deer's worst nightmare. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2004, 07:47 PM

[quoteWith that petite body of yours, coupled with that bad-azz looking rifle, you look like a deer's worst nightmare. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was, on that day. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2004, 10:22 PM
Silver Member

Did you scare it to death or did ya shoot it? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I just got to know what in the heck are they putting in the water? everything out there is oversized!! Game - Hunter - Gun
And they say everything is big in Texas.

Apparently they have never been to Montana. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

nice pics guys
Old 12-22-2004, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you scare it to death or did ya shoot it? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I just got to know what in the heck are they putting in the water? everything out there is oversized!! Game - Hunter - Gun
And they say everything is big in Texas.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was no fear in that buck. We came around a bend in the road and there they were, him and 5 does. He had his nose way up one of the does' butt. I get out of the truck, run to the nearest fence post (about 25 yds. away), take a rest and fire. Deer shows no reaction at all. I couldn't see how I missed at that range (75 yds. or so), but I fire again. Deer goes down. When I cleaned him, clearly 2 entry hole, 1 exit hole and a bullet under the hide of the far shoulder. First shot was evidently fine, he was just so intent on that doe that he had no idea of anything else going on around him. These critters do some crazy things. Anyway, no, I didn't scare him to death, he died of lead poisoning. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2004, 02:42 PM

Sounds like I will be hunting the area south of the Fort Peck Reservoir (I don't know the actual Hunt Unit). What kind of numbers does that area hold and is it feasible to plan on a seeing both muleys and antelope? Also what kind of weather can I expect in the rifle seson?

Thanks

Erik
Old 12-22-2004, 06:07 PM
SPONSOR

BigE, the majority of the unit south of Ft. Peck is unit 700 although there may be a few units in 600. Doesn't really matter as your "A tag" is good for the whole eastern half of the state. The mule deer numbers in general are good on the south side and will only continue to get better if Mother Nature is kind. I would recommend against trying to combine altelope with deer. While the season does over lap for a week or two the antelope hunting will be less than enjoyable because the majority of the bucks will be shedding their horns by then. I had some friends from Idaho try it this year, despite my protests. While they had a great deer hunt they convinced themselves that antelope hunting wasn't all that great so late in the season. Some folks just have to learn by experience I guess. It's best to make seperate trips for lopes and deer. Besides it's much easier to focus and be successful if you aren't trying to split your time between the two. With that said if you don't care about antelope horns then apply for a doe/fawn antelope tag. It should all of about an hour to fill that tag and then go get after the mule deer.