Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Missed !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 03:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Missed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMERSS View Post
The Leica 1600 is a great option for slope angle. I use mine often for this purpose. However, they can sometimes "lie" as with any range finder. A few years ago I was shooting at a cow. My buddy was ranging. I asked for a range, he replied exactly 700. Boom. The cow froze like a statue. What the heck. I asked for the range again. Same, shoot 700. Boom. What the heck nothing. I turned to my buddy and said something is completely wrong. Obviously. During our discussion on potential issues my friend asked me to range. The cow was still standing there like a statue. I ranged 610. Boom. Dead elk.

It turned out my buddy was missing the elk and hitting the vegetation behind. I asked him if he ranged the cow's feet. He looked at me like what the heck are you talking about. RANGE THE FEET. This way you will assuredly reflect off the ground corresponding to the range the elk is standing on and not the vegetation behind. Ok, I understand elk don't have feet but you get the point. There is no problem with ranging the animal but ensure you range the feet to confirm.

It turned out a range of 700 put me about 10" over the back of the elk. I was shooting exactly where instructed. Leica's can lie, range the feet to keep them honest!
Wow!! Now that is good info...keeping the range finder honest ha ha...who would have thought. Thanks for that!

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 11-20-2013, 04:56 PM
Gold Member

And I don't like your choice of bullet in THAT rifle!!
Old 11-20-2013, 09:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post
Wow!! Now that is good info...keeping the range finder honest ha ha...who would have thought. Thanks for that!
I now primarily us a Terrapin on a Leupold tripod. I have tried to make the Terrapin fib, even a little. No luck, won't even tell a white lie. The combo has a nickname, "Honest Abe".

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMulhern View Post
And I don't like your choice of bullet in THAT rifle!!
I think the bullet and Leica were in cahoooots. Dang them anyway!!!!