Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Missed !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Missed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcederberg View Post
The other factors were wind in my face pretty much and it was cold. My dope was made at 70 degree's if that would make much difference.
I'd wonder more about the wind.

Last year when shooting my elk I was on the edge of a small rise overlooking a very flat meadow. The wind seemed in my face, directly on, but in reality I discovered it was coming at 45 degrees or so, and then up the edge of the rise, making me think it was head on. Thankfully I made corrections and still got the elk.

So, the wind might have tricked you.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:52 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I would guess more like 30 degree angle
What does your dope in inches for 510 yards say compared to 600? Maybe this will give you an indicator to what happened.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vette View Post
I'd wonder more about the wind.

Last year when shooting my elk I was on the edge of a small rise overlooking a very flat meadow. The wind seemed in my face, directly on, but in reality I discovered it was coming at 45 degrees or so, and then up the edge of the rise, making me think it was head on. Thankfully I made corrections and still got the elk.

So, the wind might have tricked you.
When it comes to windage errors elk are very forgiving due to their size. You can be off 18-24" on a broadside shot and still put it on target well enough for a clean kill.

Measure an elk carcass from the last rib to mid neck and you're going to have a kill zone that is roughly 3-4 feet wide depending on the size of the animal.

When you consider this shot was sub 600yds it would take a tremendous error in wind adjustment to get a complete miss.

Taking the angle cosine multiplying by 587 I get a true linear distance of 508 yds. Sinee he held/set for full value he was off roughly 26" in doping the drop.

If the aim point is mid depth that's about 13" from the withers which would mean the bullet probably sailed 8-12" high over her back.

Last edited by WildRose; 11-18-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with Wild Rose last post, and are you sure you didnt have " back strap fever"
Old 11-18-2013, 10:56 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Taking the angle cosine multiplying by 587 I get a true linear distance of 508 yds. Sine he held/set for full value he was off roughly 26" in doping the drop.

If the aim point is mid depth that's about 13" from the withers which would mean the bullet probably sailed 8-12" high over her back.
Hopefully the OP learns from this with a good approach, calculates the math and applies what should have been the appropriate elevation correction, and now realizes how practical all this could have been for that shot.

At times a tough lesson with ballistics comes at the expense of missed opportunities!!!
Old 11-19-2013, 12:13 AM
Bronze Member

Well you guys are going to think I am an idiot, the mystery was solved tonight why I missed. I went to the range we use as soon as I got off work and shot my 600 yard dope. It hit about 300 yards short of the target. My turret was off by one full turn, I turned the dial one complete turn to 2.3 and hit the steel 4 times in a row. I cant believe that happened, I guess the zero stop is going on in the morning. I feel better kinowing that I didnt shoot that bad but pretty mad for that happening. Was carrying my rifle on my chest on my wheeler and I think rubbing on me turned it. I remember setting it back to zero but did not check my 2 up and 2 out. Rookie mistake that wont happen again!! Going to take out my frustration on a coyote at long range soon..
Old 11-19-2013, 12:29 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Well you guys are going to think I am an idiot, the mystery was solved tonight why I missed. I went to the range we use as soon as I got off work and shot my 600 yard dope. It hit about 300 yards short of the target. My turret was off by one full turn, I turned the dial one complete turn to 2.3 and hit the steel 4 times in a row. I cant believe that happened, I guess the zero stop is going on in the morning. I feel better kinowing that I didnt shoot that bad but pretty mad for that happening. Was carrying my rifle on my chest on my wheeler and I think rubbing on me turned it. I remember setting it back to zero but did not check my 2 up and 2 out. Rookie mistake that wont happen again!! Going to take out my frustration on a coyote at long range soon..

Not returning turrets to a zero has happened with many of us, including myself. I can relate to that. For sake of discussion, what do you think your elevation results would have been had you not been off on your turrets one full turn and shooting with a 30 deg slope while not correcting for this slope? Do you think this would have made a difference with the outcome? Your thoughts?