Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Missed !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 05:17 PM

Missed !

The shot I have been waiting for, cow elk 587 yards slightly uphill, set dope for 600 and missed. Using bypod, backpack as rear bag and very calm. Dont know what happened. Have been hitting the 600 yard steel every shot. I am thinking I shot over, should have compensated or dialed down for the uphill and not quite being 600 yards. So dissapointed! Very mad at myself. Shooting 300 RUM Sendero with 168 Bergers at 3380, probably not the rifles fault!

Ceder
Old 11-18-2013, 05:35 PM
Silver Member

Re: Missed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcederberg View Post
....I am thinking I shot over, should have compensated or dialed down for the uphill and not quite being 600 yards....
Yup I think I agree. No worries, clean miss I guess. It's a bummer when that happens, ask me how I know

-The flexibility of your adaptability is the true measure of your intelligence-
Old 11-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member

Did you not see the impact? From the sound of it if I were to guess I'd also figure the most likely scenario is that if you in fact missed it may have been high but there's no way to know.

You aren't giving enough of the conditions for us to really give good answers.

How steep was the angle?

What was the wind like?

If you didn't see the impact I have to ask do you have a good brake on the rifle?

The latter point is an important one and why so many of us run brakes even on rifles that don't have a whole lot of recoil because it doesn't take a whole lot to throw you off enough that you cannot see the bullet impact.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member

If the look angle was less than 20 degrees which would be about 1 MOA at 600 yards you just made a bad shot if your dope was right. If it was steeper should have corrected to the EHR. Been there done that.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 11-18-2013, 06:07 PM

I would guess more like 30 degree angle, I do have a break on my rifle and the trigger break felt really good. My buddy was watching the shot also and we could not see any impact, the ground was really soft, also could not see any bullet trace. The other factors were wind in my face pretty much and it was cold. My dope was made at 70 degree's if that would make much difference.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

With that much angle the odds are you shot over. What was your point of aim? High shoulder? Mid shoulder? Bread basket?
Old 11-18-2013, 06:54 PM
Gold Member

Are you sure you missed? Although the conditions aren't the same I shot an elk at longrange ,twice in fact, and that elk didn't even flinch or react in anyway never could see the impacts. The elk walked off and when I went over to check guess what I found an elk. This is also why I use a ballistic program and dial vs the the preset dials. I'm sure they work just fine for some people but I like accounting for all the factors.