Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

A miss. Now what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2008, 10:40 AM

A miss. Now what?

Long range miss (0 wind). I couldn't see shot, hunting partner didn't spot shot. Shot felt good-what now? How do those of you who have a lot more field experience than me handle this situation? Buck has gone back to feeding.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Silver Member

Re: A miss. Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw185 View Post
Long range miss (0 wind). I couldn't see shot, hunting partner didn't spot shot. Shot felt good-what now? How do those of you who have a lot more field experience than me handle this situation? Buck has gone back to feeding.
Recheck that the scope is dialed right. Are you sure there is no small brush blocking the shot?

If you truly can not find anything wrong. Take a picture and then go to the range to figure out the gun/ammo/shooter problem. If nothing is apparently wrong and you got a clean miss then you can't risk another shot resulting in a bad hit.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member

I agree, Good advice Forester.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member

All the above + what about the setup. Was it solid/firm. If dry fired from that position would cross hairs have moved on the target? Is the front rest one that has been used before. Rear bags used? If hand used as rear bag - not good? If bipod then was it a Harris? If yes has there been plenty of practice using it?

You describe what I call an "unexplainable" miss. They happen once in a while. I eliminated "most" of mine by going to a solid mount bipod with no movable legs/feet and ensuring that the rear rest is solid on bags or monopod. Not a hand.....
Old 11-29-2008, 01:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw185 View Post
Was the elevation turrent zeroed before you made the sight correction.

It is not to uncommon to forget to zero after a shot at a different distance.

If you don't re zero then you will add to that and end up very high and probably
won't see the bullet strike.

Just a thought

J E CUSTOM
Old 11-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member

A little touch of buck fever.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 11-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

Walk over to where the deer was and see where the bullet landed.
If you didn't spot the bullet how do you know you missed?

Peeonit - Part 8