Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

Minimum Velocity Clarification

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 09-10-2013, 01:39 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 771
Re: Minimum Velocity Clarification

Ive always followed the rule that 1000+ lbs of energy is the safe zone and after that shot placement should be priority.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-10-2013, 02:29 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 334
Re: Minimum Velocity Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bushman View Post
Ive always followed the rule that 1000+ lbs of energy is the safe zone and after that shot placement should be priority.
I am wondering if lets say a guy follows the "1800fps rule" for expansion, but if you still got lets say 1500-1000ft/lbs energy when you are below the 1800fps, does it kinda act like some of the modern day bullets that are built to retain their mass and one would use that energy for penetration????? That could probably work too.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 771
Re: Minimum Velocity Clarification

Quote:
I am wondering if lets say a guy follows the "1800fps rule" for expansion, but if you still got lets say 1500-1000ft/lbs energy when you are below the 1800fps, does it kinda act like some of the modern day bullets that are built to retain their mass and one would use that energy for penetration????? That could probably work too.
I dont know for sure. I dont see why it couldnt. I also think that it could still open up and shed its jacket even though it is under the recommended velocity.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 334
Re: Minimum Velocity Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bushman View Post
I dont know for sure. I dont see why it couldnt. I also think that it could still open up and shed its jacket even though it is under the recommended velocity.
You could be right. Of course that is all gonna depend on the game one is shooting also. Like stated in the earlier posts, some of the guys shooting the real big bullets aren't even that worried about it. Seems to me that with some of the smaller ones, if you have enough energy left you still should have fair performance.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,954
Re: Minimum Velocity Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1982 View Post
You could be right. Of course that is all gonna depend on the game one is shooting also. Like stated in the earlier posts, some of the guys shooting the real big bullets aren't even that worried about it. Seems to me that with some of the smaller ones, if you have enough energy left you still should have fair performance.
Most guys are concerned about good bullet performance, especially with the lighter bullets. To plan for a bullet not to expand is very risky. If they pencil hole all the way through, the animal will take quite a while to expire. The longer high BC bullets are more likely to tumble and do damage, but IMO, the best plan is to have a bullet cause massive damage through proper expansion.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, KE is an abstract measurement of energy and no one can quantify just how that translates to killing power. If you use a solid that arrives on target with 2500 ftlbs of energy and it pencils through, most of the KE leaves on the offside of the animal. Different bullets perform in different ways and some low KE hits can be more damaging than some high KE hits. Also, animals come in different sizes and toughness. A bull elk might be almost twice the size of a cow and to make the blanket statement that you need 1500 ftlbs of KE to kill an elk just doesn't cut it. What you need to kill an elk is a bullet that enters, expands and causes great damage to vital organs. An exit wound is good too, but if you use a 180 7mm Berger that explodes and destroys both lungs, that works just as well.

My personal minimal preference for bull elk is a 308 cal, 180 gr @ 1800 fps or greater and everything would have to be just right for a good double lung shot. For cow elk and deer, I'll go with less.

I look at the animal, the shot presented, the bullet, the expected performance of the bullet and it's impact velocity.
__________________
- Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 771
Re: Minimum Velocity Clarification

Quote:
Also, as far as I'm concerned, KE is an abstract measurement of energy and no one can quantify just how that translates to killing power. If you use a solid that arrives on target with 2500 ftlbs of energy and it pencils through, most of the KE leaves on the offside of the animal. Different bullets perform in different ways and some low KE hits can be more damaging than some high KE hits. Also, animals come in different sizes and toughness. A bull elk might be almost twice the size of a cow and to make the blanket statement that you need 1500 ftlbs of KE to kill an elk just doesn't cut it. What you need to kill an elk is a bullet that enters, expands and causes great damage to vital organs. An exit wound is good too, but if you use a 180 7mm Berger that explodes and destroys both lungs, that works just as well.
I agree, but at the same time i feel energy is a very accurate way of determining a bullets potential to do damage. Although like you said it is completely dependent on how the bullet functions. With the aggressive expansion of the bergers i feel it gives a good forcast of what you can expect.

Quote:
I look at the animal, the shot presented, the bullet, the expected performance of the bullet and it's impact velocity.
To mimick what you said here i think no guideline is a substitute for a shooter being familiar with his bullet and his capabilities.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,954
Re: Minimum Velocity Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bushman View Post
... i feel energy is a very accurate way of determining a bullets potential to do damage.
I think it's a ball park indicator. I think velocity, caliber and weight of the bullet is the best determiner.
__________________
- Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC