Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

Minimum Velocity Clarification

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-10-2013, 11:33 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 334
Minimum Velocity Clarification

So I have read that Berger recommends 1800fps for expansion. Yet, a lot of numbers that I seem to run seems like most cartridges, unless we are talking some of the massive 338's, tend to hit that magic 1800fps around 800-1000yds. With that said, I have seen a lot of videos and read stuff about guys shooting stuff further than that. I understand that elevations and conditions will also weigh into the equation. I am just wondering that is 1800fps the common rule everybody out there uses or is there something I am missing here.

Also, I would like to add, this isn't to be an arguementative topic, just educational for myself. Everybody is entitled to their thoughts or experiences on this so I am just more or less interested to hear everyone's side of it. I have read a few of the other threads but they didn't really answer my questions the way I was hoping so I will see if the answers come out in converstation on this thread. Thanks for your advice.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,954
Re: Minimum Velocity Clarification

It depends on the cartridges and bullets you are talking about. Most of the cartridges discussed in this forum will send a bullet downrange past 1K with greater than 1800 fps.

My 6-284, 6.5 WSM and 300 RUM will all send the higher BC bullets well past 1K with over 1800 fps.
__________________
- Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-10-2013, 12:08 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 334
Re: Minimum Velocity Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
It depends on the cartridges and bullets you are talking about. Most of the cartridges discussed in this forum will send a bullet downrange past 1K with greater than 1800 fps.

My 6-284, 6.5 WSM and 300 RUM will all send the higher BC bullets well past 1K with over 1800 fps.
Could you tell me some little stuff about your 300RUM like MV, and bullet? Just so I can use some real life info to rationalize some things out for myself.

So waht you are saying is most people are abidding by the "1800fps" rule, just depends all the other factors?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 606
Re: Minimum Velocity Clarification

I think most people do abide by the 1800 fps rule. A decent 300 rum load would be a 200 Accubond or a 215 Berger Hybrid at 3,100 fps.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-10-2013, 12:32 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,954
Re: Minimum Velocity Clarification

My old 300 RUM shot 180 E-Tips to 3400 fps and 210 Bergers to 3130 fps. The 210 Bergers get to 1100-1400 yds under normal environmental condition for the altitude I hunt in which range from 3000' to 10.000'

In my new RUM, I will be shooting higher BC bullets, like the 230 Hybrid, at equal or great velocities.

My take is that most guys do consider the limitations of their bullets and don't usually exceed them. Also, not all bullets have the same opening velocities and some, like the Bergers, may expand at lower velocities in the lager and heavier cals/bullets while smaller and lighter bullets may not do as well. That's just a very general statement.

Some guys, are not too concerned with expansion and will shoot a larger bullet, like a 300 gr SMK, at ranges beyond expansion velocity. BTW, Sierra does not list an expansion velocity for SMK's, as they are "officially" not intended for that purpose due to military requirements.

I know of one bullet maker that specifically tested high BC non-expanding solids on game to see how they performed. The idea is that they will tumble and cause a lot of damage.

So, no really hard and fast rules, but most use bullet performance set by the manufactures as a guide.
__________________
- Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 334
Re: Minimum Velocity Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
My old 300 RUM shot 180 E-Tips to 3400 fps and 210 Bergers to 3130 fps. The 210 Bergers get to 1100-1400 yds under normal environmental condition for the altitude I hunt in which range from 3000' to 10.000'

In my new RUM, I will be shooting higher BC bullets, like the 230 Hybrid, at equal or great velocities.

My take is that most guys do consider the limitations of their bullets and don't usually exceed them. Also, not all bullets have the same opening velocities and some, like the Bergers, may expand at lower velocities in the lager and heavier cals/bullets while smaller and lighter bullets may not do as well. That's just a very general statement.

Some guys, are not too concerned with expansion and will shoot a larger bullet, like a 300 gr SMK, at ranges beyond expansion velocity. BTW, Sierra does not list an expansion velocity for SMK's, as they are "officially" not intended for that purpose due to military requirements.

I know of one bullet maker that specifically tested high BC non-expanding solids on game to see how they performed. The idea is that they will tumble and cause a lot of damage.

So, no really hard and fast rules, but most use bullet performance set by the manufactures as a guide.
I think I'm pickin' up what you're layin' down here. Basically, smaller bullets so to speak, probably require effective expansion properties. Then when we start talking about the big ole bullets, there are some guys that are kinda going with a little bit of a thinking that a 300gr is a big enough peice of stone to deliver enough smoke. Very nice.

Sounds like a 300 ultra mag would be a pretty sweet shooting rig. Anybody want a 1/2MOA sendero 7RM? hahahahaha
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,954
Re: Minimum Velocity Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1982 View Post
I think I'm pickin' up what you're layin' down here. Basically, smaller bullets so to speak, probably require effective expansion properties. Then when we start talking about the big ole bullets, there are some guys that are kinda going with a little bit of a thinking that a 300gr is a big enough peice of stone to deliver enough smoke. Very nice.

Sounds like a 300 ultra mag would be a pretty sweet shooting rig. Anybody want a 1/2MOA sendero 7RM? hahahahaha
You could probably get a good price for it here or on Armslist I sold a couple of Senderos pretty quick on Armslist earlier this year. They are a very popular rifle and hold their value well.
__________________
- Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Do you watch outdoor shows live or by recording them?
Always recorded - 13.11%
112 Votes
Mostly recorded - 24.24%
207 Votes
Sometimes recorded - 14.99%
128 Votes
Rarely or never recorded - 47.66%
407 Votes
Total Votes: 854
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC