Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

minimum velocity?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2010, 02:46 PM
Bronze Member

minimum velocity?

What is the minimum velocity that, say a 55 vmax out of a 223 will reliably expand? I've searched the internet but nothing of any substance.

Aim small hit small

When they come for your guns, give them the ammunition first.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: minimum velocity?

Just a guess (but pretty darn close) 800 to 1000 ft.lbs. or 1200 fps. It is a pretty lightly constructed bullet, so any hit on a bone should open it up. Fleshy hits will be hit and miss I would think. I hit ground hogs at 650 yards with 208 A-max's and they don't open up much. Still throw some chunks every once in awhile.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!

Last edited by liltank; 07-17-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:40 PM
Bronze Member

well...that's a little confusing since my calculator says I only have 942 ft lb @ the muzzle @ 3200 fps

Aim small hit small

When they come for your guns, give them the ammunition first.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr3db3ar View Post
well...that's a little confusing since my calculator says I only have 942 ft lb @ the muzzle @ 3200 fps

LOL! Well then I would go with the lesser of values I offered. I would stick with the 800fps+ then. I have a feeling that it will open up. If you think about it, 22LR High velocity hollow points are suppose to open up and they are only around 88ft lbs. Go to the varmint hunting section. There is a guy (Ring) that hit a groundhog in the noodle at 800+ yards with a 223 and I think a 55grn bullet. Might be a 62, anyway, popped the eyes out. I don't have much experience with .224's. They are pretty light construction for maximum red vapor action. Probably doesn't take much to get them to open up.

Tank
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 07-17-2010, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member

Just looked at JBM and punched in the numbers. I would say it should work to 900yrds if you can hit your intended target. I just wouldn't hit anything to big. Your wind calling at that distance is going to be paramount. I would keep it within 700yrds if it were me.

Tank

Old 07-18-2010, 04:48 AM
Miller Outdoors

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr3db3ar View Post
What is the minimum velocity that, say a 55 vmax out of a 223 will reliably expand?
That'll totally depend on what you hit. My guestimate is solid bone maybe 700 fps and flesh only maybe 900fps.

This sounds like a good excuse to do some impact tests. Get a chronograph, load us some really light charges, get a roadkill or a pig or whatever and do some shooting.