Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Mil-dots in the hunting field

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2001, 01:14 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Mil-dots in the hunting field

When MILing an animal it is important to use the largest dimension available in order to achieve the most accurate range estimate.

Another useful measurement is the height of fenceposts. Most farmers put a 6 foot post 2 feet into the ground leaving a more or less standard 4 feet (48 inches) above ground. This can be very useful when hunting in an area with a lot of fences. The fences can be used as reference points to give the hunter an idea of various ranges.

I made up a MIL range grid and printed it out small enough to laminate (business card sized). I then punched a hole in the corner and use an elastic to hang it from the scope. Thus the MIL range chart is always handy and quick to use. It is more versatile than the MIL Dot Master and can be tailored to the user's needs.

Peter Cronhelm
Old 07-18-2001, 09:05 AM
Silver Member

Re: Mil-dots in the hunting field

Great ideas. I'm going into the woods this year equipped with a tape measure. However, just kindly tell me how ya get them critters to hold still while you measure their standing distance from the ground to the tope of their backs? Seriously, sounds like a great place to start a data bank. When I take antelope into the processors in Wyoming, there is usually a bunch of other antelope there (all with racks bigger then mine) and I'll be measuring them too.

RR