Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

mil dot rangeing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2004, 08:22 PM
Gold Member

Re: mil dot rangeing

Many good comments here. I agree with speedbump's approach of KNOWING the size of your intended target, and with p dog shooters suggestions. I now use my laser rangefinder for most of my ranging, the exception being the quick glance made through my ranging reticle to verify if an elk is within 300 yards, in which case a dead on hold is all thats required. I use a figure of 27" top of back to bottom of chest for a mature bull. Thats 1.5 mil at 500 yards, which is also the hold over with my rifle for 500 yards.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:24 AM
Platinum Member

Guessing range based on animal size is very difficult. I use the mil/dot as a fixed or known zero for each dot and a good rangefinder for exact distance.
After zeroing for max/point/blank/range.{5"}
I then find where each dot impacts by using balistic tables and then shooting to verify.
Using this method I have at least 5 or 6 good zeroes and after establishing exact
distance hold over/under is easy.

hope this helps
Old 07-29-2004, 01:25 PM
Silver Member

Mildot formula

Target size in inches multiplied by 27.77 for yards (25.0 for meters) and divided by the number of mildots covering the target
Example: Letís say for the sake of argument that a whitetails chest is 18Ē from the top of his back to the bottom. 18 X 27.77 = 499.86. The deerís chest covers 1 and 1/2 mildots. Divide 499 by 1.5 and you have 332 yards to the deer.

For meters itís the same thing except you multiply by 25.0. 18 X 25 = 450. 450 divided by 1.5 = 300 meters to the deer.

Mildots are something you have to work at. Itís not something you can get good at in 15 minutes. Most folks can break the mildots down into Ĺ and ľ increments. But those who practice a lot with them can break them down to 1/8 and 1/10th increments. It all comes down to practice, practice and more practice. The smaller you can break down the increments, the more accurately you can measure the distance.

Now youíll also want to spend $29.95 and purchase a mildot master analog calculator. This is the single biggest investment you can make if youíre going to use them.

Hope it helps. Any more questions on them send them my way and I'll try to answer them for you.

Mildot master web page

[ 07-29-2004: Message edited by: Jeff In TX ]

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 07-30-2004, 07:58 AM
Platinum Member

Some critter info. There also several post on this site (find by search) about critter sizes.
http://www.kahlesoptik.com/products/...ilhouette.html
Old 07-30-2004, 09:15 AM
Bronze Member

mildot ranging works pretty good out to 500 yards or so. You have to have a dead solid rest and the animal has to cooperate and stand broadside for a while. The smaller the animal looks in the scope the tougher it gets.
There is a mildot ranging chart on the Pentax website.
Some of those measurements on the Kahles site seem a little big.
Try these:
Mule deer 18"
Coyote 10"
Antelope 15"
Bull elk 28 to 32
Old 07-30-2004, 02:46 PM

Thanks guys for all the replies
i have spent time since december working on grouping and drop tables ,but i think its time for ranging [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
nice sight dave king i printed a copy
cheers jaeger