Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

Mil-dot or not: Mil adj. or MOA?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15  
Old 11-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Posts: 3,418
Re: Mil-dot or not: Mil adj. or MOA?

Traditionally, the MIL system is more user friendly for the metric system and the MOA system for SAE. That is not to say that MILs wont work for SAE and vice/versa. It is largely personal preference. The biggest thing though is to match the reticle with the dials. It sucks to have a MIL reticle and an MOA dial. I have one like that and hate it. My other scope is a MIL/MIL and I love it.

My preference is the MIL system but every shooter has a different style an mentality.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Please just answer one very simple question. Why would anyone shooting long range load a low BC , low SD 168 gr offering in a 300 win???????

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Alaska
Posts: 3,230
Re: Mil-dot or not: Mil adj. or MOA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
If you really don't mind experimenting though and want to go first class give the IOR's a hard look.

I've shot some of the best and most expensive scopes ever made and I'll match my IOR's against any scope priced within at least 600.00 of them.

I'll also mention again I LOVE the MP8 Reticle. As far as I'm concerned it's the best hunting or tactical reticle ever produced. The Horus H37 is a close second.
WR,
Do you use your IORs on heavy recoiling muzzle-braked rifles? The IORs have a reputation for holding up well provided no muzzle brake is in use. But I've had three of their 3-18x42mm Tactical scopes come apart internally when mounted on .300 Win Mag and .338 Edge muzzle-braked rifles.

Never had a problem on my 7mm Rem Mag without a muzzle brake. It took a while for the IOR on the .300 Win Mag to come unglued. But the one on the .338 Edge failed within the first 40 shots fired.

I like the MP-8 best also. But it didn't do me any good while the scopes were in transit back and forth to IOR for warranty repair work. Now I'm using Sightron SIIIs, and the glass in them is equal to the IORs. Better light transmission in the SIIIs, Identical resolution based on my side-by-side comparisons in the field on the 300 yd target.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NW MT
Posts: 2,539
Re: Mil-dot or not: Mil adj. or MOA?

I will echo as some others. I like my mil/mil in TMR on a Leupold. I have the mils in memory to 1000 and FFP, HOLDS = dial up. It has held up so far 175 shots on a light 7-2 0z bare 338 Norma taking 2 speed goats and a 6x6 bull
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 4,442
Re: Mil-dot or not: Mil adj. or MOA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
WR,
Do you use your IORs on heavy recoiling muzzle-braked rifles? The IORs have a reputation for holding up well provided no muzzle brake is in use. But I've had three of their 3-18x42mm Tactical scopes come apart internally when mounted on .300 Win Mag and .338 Edge muzzle-braked rifles.

Never had a problem on my 7mm Rem Mag without a muzzle brake. It took a while for the IOR on the .300 Win Mag to come unglued. But the one on the .338 Edge failed within the first 40 shots fired.

I like the MP-8 best also. But it didn't do me any good while the scopes were in transit back and forth to IOR for warranty repair work. Now I'm using Sightron SIIIs, and the glass in them is equal to the IORs. Better light transmission in the SIIIs, Identical resolution based on my side-by-side comparisons in the field on the 300 yd target.
Well my 6-24x50 came off of a .50cal with about a thousand rounds through it. Has no issues.

I shoot it on my 300 rum and have about 200 rounds through it now as well.

the 4-14x50 came off of a 338 Rum and had about 300rnds through it there, no issues.

I've put about 300 more through it on the AR-260 with a brake as well and the AR action does create a significant amount of shock through the whole system due to the bolt operation.

No issues.

My guess would be you just hit a run of bad luck, they should be holding up much better for you. Sorry to hear it!
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SW Idaho
Posts: 1,148
Re: Mil-dot or not: Mil adj. or MOA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
WR,
Do you use your IORs on heavy recoiling muzzle-braked rifles? The IORs have a reputation for holding up well provided no muzzle brake is in use. But I've had three of their 3-18x42mm Tactical scopes come apart internally when mounted on .300 Win Mag and .338 Edge muzzle-braked rifles.

Never had a problem on my 7mm Rem Mag without a muzzle brake. It took a while for the IOR on the .300 Win Mag to come unglued. But the one on the .338 Edge failed within the first 40 shots fired.

I like the MP-8 best also. But it didn't do me any good while the scopes were in transit back and forth to IOR for warranty repair work. Now I'm using Sightron SIIIs, and the glass in them is equal to the IORs. Better light transmission in the SIIIs, Identical resolution based on my side-by-side comparisons in the field on the 300 yd target.
I am going off memory, spooky, but if I remember correctly there was a run of IOR's, can't remember what year even, that had the issues you described. I think the new ones are okay again after the issues they had. They sure are good scopes. I really like their 2.5-10x42 FFP. It is high up on my want list!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Alaska
Posts: 3,230
Re: Mil-dot or not: Mil adj. or MOA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Well my 6-24x50 came off of a .50cal with about a thousand rounds through it. Has no issues.

I shoot it on my 300 rum and have about 200 rounds through it now as well.

the 4-14x50 came off of a 338 Rum and had about 300rnds through it there, no issues.

I've put about 300 more through it on the AR-260 with a brake as well and the AR action does create a significant amount of shock through the whole system due to the bolt operation.

No issues.

My guess would be you just hit a run of bad luck, they should be holding up much better for you. Sorry to hear it!
Did the .50, the 300 RUM, and the 338 RUM have muzzle brakes? If the answer is yes, then wow - I am dumbfounded and impressed. I had no problems with mine until installing them on muzzle brake equipped rifles.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Alaska
Posts: 3,230
Re: Mil-dot or not: Mil adj. or MOA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot E View Post
I am going off memory, spooky, but if I remember correctly there was a run of IOR's, can't remember what year even, that had the issues you described. I think the new ones are okay again after the issues they had. They sure are good scopes. I really like their 2.5-10x42 FFP. It is high up on my want list!
I really like the IORs also. I still have one 3-18x42mm. They are heavier than I prefer, weight-wise, but no more so than NightForce and most other Tactical scopes. There was a number of years when they would come apart internally on muzzle brake equipped rifles in 30 caliber on up. 'Jon A', another LRH member was experiencing the same thing with his 3-18's about the same time I was having these problems. He had at least 3 of them break.

I would like to know that IOR is now producing muzzle brake resilient riflescopes, and that they have finally cured that illness. Which is the purpose of my Post.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Do you plan to buy a new custom rifle in the next 12 months?
YES - Of course - 73.18%
1,561 Vote
NO - wife/girlfriend won't let me. - 26.82%
572 Votes
Total Votes: 2,133
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC