Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Mil-dot or not: Mil adj. or MOA?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 02:53 AM
Silver Member

Re: Mil-dot or not: Mil adj. or MOA?

In the last hour or so, between chores, I've surfed the 'net reading reviews on the Millet LRS-1. There's so much bad press on these scopes--I couldn't even find the good PR I read day before yesterday. Worse their service would improve if they didn't have any--so many horror stories, months of 'phone calls, missed events, and hunting gone bye-bye. Even if only a tenth of what I've read was true it's enough for me.

So I'm back in the search for a scope; I know what I want and it's that NF I wrote of earlier. I'm working on a superscheme... I've always depended on Leupolds; there's a VXIII 1.5-5 that I bought in 1987 sitting atop that 375H&H right now--been there since '96--and on two 270s prior to. It's as good as the day I bought it. I needed another M70 270 like a hole in the head, but USRA just had to come out with that Classic Stainless in '92 so I had to brainstorm justification to get it--and the Leupold VXIII 2.5-8 in Talley SS Ultralights that sits there right now. That rifle's accounted for a lot of meat--bears, moose, caribou, and deer too--it, and the Leupold are just as dependable now as they always were. When Leupold came out with their 6x42 multicoat 4 that was the scope I locked down in Conetrol rings (later Sako) on my L61 222 Rem. Mag, but I digress. I've always stressed the best glass--what was I thinking? I guess I deluded myself--the lure of that big 35mm tube belling out to 56mm--free rings and flip open caps too. Thanks guys you saved me from delivering that most heinous of all geriatric insults: There's no fool like an old fool.

I'm going to seriously investigate the glass options you've all suggested. And--one of you brought up MATH--God help me. Had I made that mistake... I'll be consistent with the mil/mil-dot OR moa/mlr (?).
Old 11-11-2011, 06:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcesgigas View Post
In the last hour or so, between chores, I've surfed the 'net reading reviews on the Millet LRS-1. There's so much bad press on these scopes--I couldn't even find the good PR I read day before yesterday. Worse their service would improve if they didn't have any--so many horror stories, months of 'phone calls, missed events, and hunting gone bye-bye. Even if only a tenth of what I've read was true it's enough for me.

So I'm back in the search for a scope; I know what I want and it's that NF I wrote of earlier. I'm working on a superscheme... I've always depended on Leupolds; there's a VXIII 1.5-5 that I bought in 1987 sitting atop that 375H&H right now--been there since '96--and on two 270s prior to. It's as good as the day I bought it. I needed another M70 270 like a hole in the head, but USRA just had to come out with that Classic Stainless in '92 so I had to brainstorm justification to get it--and the Leupold VXIII 2.5-8 in Talley SS Ultralights that sits there right now. That rifle's accounted for a lot of meat--bears, moose, caribou, and deer too--it, and the Leupold are just as dependable now as they always were. When Leupold came out with their 6x42 multicoat 4 that was the scope I locked down in Conetrol rings (later Sako) on my L61 222 Rem. Mag, but I digress. I've always stressed the best glass--what was I thinking? I guess I deluded myself--the lure of that big 35mm tube belling out to 56mm--free rings and flip open caps too. Thanks guys you saved me from delivering that most heinous of all geriatric insults: There's no fool like an old fool.

I'm going to seriously investigate the glass options you've all suggested. And--one of you brought up MATH--God help me. Had I made that mistake... I'll be consistent with the mil/mil-dot OR moa/mlr (?).
A funny thing happened when I was surfing around.

Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 PA V-plex w/sunshade - Sniper's Hide Forums

If budget is a serious consideration the Vortex Viper would be one scope I'd be willing to gamble on.

Personally I prefer going with the biggest objective I can get, but this one is for sale at a pretty reasonable price as well.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...30#Post2894830

If you don't mind the focus/parallax adj being on the bell this one isn't a bad deal at all.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...33#Post2872633

Last edited by WildRose; 11-11-2011 at 06:13 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:48 AM
Silver Member

Excellent find WR--I hadn't looked at used before this thread, mainly because I'm not in a position to buy the scope until after the holidays. The action and barreling is scheduled to commence ASAP, probably this month.

Last night I continued surfing as suggested and zoned in on Vortex. The scopes look good, the prices make me suspicious, but upon reading the warranty I have no reservations on buying a Vortex PST or Razor HD--used or new. But the latter puts in NF country; just how good is that Razor?

You may wonder--given my most favorable experience with Leupold--why not get a big VXIII or M4? Two issues: recent and numerous dissatisfied customers regarding quality and consistency, and right now I'm infatuated with new tech and thus am open to "#2 tries harder," to a point.

And tossed into the mix is a tendency to avail myself of others experience so as to avoid the plenteous pitfalls that, too often, I frequent. With this site--and collective input--I believe I've learned much and plan on continuing. I enjoy this dialogue, Thanks.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcesgigas View Post
Excellent find WR--I hadn't looked at used before this thread, mainly because I'm not in a position to buy the scope until after the holidays. The action and barreling is scheduled to commence ASAP, probably this month.

Last night I continued surfing as suggested and zoned in on Vortex. The scopes look good, the prices make me suspicious, but upon reading the warranty I have no reservations on buying a Vortex PST or Razor HD--used or new. But the latter puts in NF country; just how good is that Razor?

You may wonder--given my most favorable experience with Leupold--why not get a big VXIII or M4? Two issues: recent and numerous dissatisfied customers regarding quality and consistency, and right now I'm infatuated with new tech and thus am open to "#2 tries harder," to a point.

And tossed into the mix is a tendency to avail myself of others experience so as to avoid the plenteous pitfalls that, too often, I frequent. With this site--and collective input--I believe I've learned much and plan on continuing. I enjoy this dialogue, Thanks.
Don't buy into the online BS. Leupold's quality and customer service are every bit as good today as they were thirty years ago.

I own leupold's made in every decade from the sixties on and they just get better and better.

If you really don't mind experimenting though and want to go first class give the IOR's a hard look.

I've shot some of the best and most expensive scopes ever made and I'll match my IOR's against any scope priced within at least 600.00 of them.

I'll also mention again I LOVE the MP8 Reticle. As far as I'm concerned it's the best hunting or tactical reticle ever produced. The Horus H37 is a close second.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Platinum Member

If you are thinking about going MIL and FFP then I would strongly encourage you to look at the Super Sniper line by SWFA. They are a different scope company in that they don't really advertise their scopes, except by word of mouth and forums like this, and they only sell them direct. So their price point is excellent! More importantly though is the quality. They have an excellent reputation for durability, precision, and repeatability. On their new scopes, their glass is also superb.

They don't have some of the extras like zero stops, etc. but they are really good scopes for the money IMO. To compete with them you will need to be looking at NF, IOR type quality.

Check them out here: SWFA SWFA SS Rifle Scopes SWFA SS Scopes
Old 11-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Silver Member

WR you and I must be around the same age--you gave it away with the '60s declaration. Me2. But first came a Weaver 2.5, then a Weaver V1-5; both "clouded up" after a couple of years. Then a 2.75 Redfield; I'd have it today if I didn't have to sell it with its platform, a Winchester 88 (with the real checkering too). So somewhere in the late sixties I got my first Leupold--because the Redfield I wanted was "out of stock." I've never looked back. I'm sold on Leupolds; I just don't want to be stuck on Leupolds (or anything for that matter). Leupold is the constant; all others, including NF and USO, are the variables.

Now you got me doing more research: IOR, that reticule--M8? I'll have to check back to your commentary.

Now, regarding the second question: mil or moa? Someone--you or Scot E--posed a question: "...like 1/4s or 1/10s." The latter seems faster (Physics for me instigate dysentery...), easier to remember, and thus yielding greater consistency. So right now I'm listing toward mil-rads. More thoughts?
Old 11-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Silver Member

I have to step away from the computer as it's starting to get light and I've a trap line to check. Just so you know I'll be back to pick this up...