Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Mil-dot Master question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2009, 07:54 PM
Gold Member

Mil-dot Master question

I'm looking at getting a Mil-dot Master for back up ranging. Does anyone have any experience using this product? Is it very accurate out to 800-900 yds on deer sized game? Thanks for any feed back.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM
Old 12-19-2009, 03:12 AM
Silver Member

Re: Mil-dot Master question

For it to be accurate you will need to know the size of your target before using the mildot master, and as you can imagine, knowing the size of a deer at distance is guessing at best. You may be close but the more your off on target size the more the error compounds at distance.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Silver Member

the mildot master is only as good as you are at using it.

the differance between 16 or 18 inch target that you estimate at .5mil.. these are estimates from using the mildot master.

16 inches 882yards
18 inches 1000yards

at those ranges you could easily miss. if you know the size it will alow you to get close enough. to be able to range a deer at those ranges is hard.

Last edited by tjonh2001; 12-19-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARHEAD1371 View Post
I'm looking at getting a Mil-dot Master for back up ranging. Does anyone have any experience using this product? Is it very accurate out to 800-900 yds on deer sized game? Thanks for any feed back.
You can purchase the "Mil Dot Master" at "Cheaper than Dirt" and other gun sites. Instructions are included. Nightforce scopes are already confirgured in MOA. NXS 8x32x56 with the NPR2 reticle will allow you to range targets beyond 1760 to within 3 feet plus or minus. Get the Mil Dot Card as back up and learn to use it. Know your "come ups" on your weapons to at least 1000 yards in any and all weather conditions and elevations including up/down angle shooting at range. Chart it! ("Exbal" program is great) Know your "leads" at full, 3/4, 1/2 for all distances. This comes in "handy" when you have to "snap" shoot and do not have the time to "turn a knob". Windage is critical.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john g duvall View Post
You can purchase the "Mil Dot Master" at "Cheaper than Dirt" and other gun sites. Instructions are included. Nightforce scopes are already confirgured in MOA. NXS 8x32x56 with the NPR2 reticle will allow you to range targets beyond 1760 to within 3 feet plus or minus. Get the Mil Dot Card as back up and learn to use it. Know your "come ups" on your weapons to at least 1000 yards in any and all weather conditions and elevations including up/down angle shooting at range. Chart it! ("Exbal" program is great) Know your "leads" at full, 3/4, 1/2 for all distances. This comes in "handy" when you have to "snap" shoot and do not have the time to "turn a knob". Windage is critical.

are youi trying to tell someone to use a mildot master that is designed for mils with a npr2 reticule that is in minute of angle. you cant do that. how are you going to read didstance beween moa and then go to a mildot calculator and get a distance?

as for the moa reticules you dont need a mildot master to estimare distance it a simple math equation.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjonh2001 View Post
are youi trying to tell someone to use a mildot master that is designed for mils with a npr2 reticule that is in minute of angle. you cant do that. how are you going to read didstance beween moa and then go to a mildot calculator and get a distance?

as for the moa reticules you dont need a mildot master to estimare distance it a simple math equation.
What I am saying is this, every one (including you) should to learn to use both. "Night Force" scopes eliminate the need to put Mils into MOA unless you buy their "Mil" dot reticle. I thought that this would be obvious. Perhaps I am not at the correct site. Have you checked your spelling? I am not given "amateur hour", only to those that wish to step forward in the right direction. Is that you or are you looking for an excuse to run your mouth?!
Old 12-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Silver Member

Your right it’s great to know both ways but for most why the hell would you want to know both learn to master one way. The mildot master is a must for me when using mils for ranging and holdovers. The moa is easier for me since I don’t have to worry about where I put it last time I used it. Also you don’t need anything to do the math.

Not that I need to justify myself to someone that is running their mouth but I do use both and I thought that I would show you a few of my toys since seeing is believing. It sounds like you like nightforce so here’s a picture.