Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Mil dot for elk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 08:56 PM

Mil dot for elk

I am new to ranging elk and deer using the mildot method. First, Back to Brisket on an Elk. I see on here and other sites people using 24, 30,36". Ive also seen that the avg is 30-36". So, i made a chart using 33" back to brisket. Then it dawned on me..... There is going to be a diffrence in size based on the age of the Elk. Cause if your off 1 inch, at long ranges, thats a huge diffrence. What do you do about that?

Jay
Old 10-24-2010, 09:12 PM
Silver Member

Re: Mil dot for elk

I think you are correct. My personal opinion is that a good LRF elliminates the need to guess on the measurements of the mildot and other reticles. Mine are used as a last resort if the LRF fails.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:34 AM
Platinum Member

The size of elk vary dramatically from state to state and even area to area, plus how mature the elk is. You really have to know your elk as far as maturity and the size of the animals in the particular area your hunting. In low lying arid areas with mild winters I have shot elk in excess of 1100 pounds. In northern states in high mountain terrain I have shot mature bulls that weighed 750 pounds. They vary quite a bit. For long range shots use a rangefinder. The measurements are just not dependable. What area are you hunting and I can tell you about what to expect. I have shot elk in every rocky mountain state plus Oregon.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:51 AM

I hunt Roosevelt Elk in Washington. That was my other thing. When folks were talking about the measurments, were they talking Rocky Mountain Elk or what, cause there are several types.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member

I have never taken a roosevelt but have called them in during bow season for buddies years ago. The coastal rain forest elk I saw were bigger and fatter than most rocky mtn elk. I saw some I know went 900-1000 pounds. For a mature bull I would give him 31". But you are right there with them and would know more than me and have access to better local info. It will be guesswork for sure. The local game and fish may have data for you because they do take measurements of elk during studies.