Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Mike Rock or Lothar Walther? >> For .308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2003, 09:07 AM

Mike Rock or Lothar Walther? >> For .308

Having a gun built as we speak. In terms of accuracy and longevity, which performs better?

I'm really looking for specific information - not second hand opinions or conjecture. I know both are capable of 1/2"@100 easy, and they're within $10 of each other.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:35 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Mike Rock or Lothar Walther? >> For .308

I believe the LW are polygonal rifled while the Mike Rock are cut conventional rifling.

I've had both polygonal (Pac-Nor and Harris Gun Works) and cut conventional (Mike Rock) and find that there are differences. The polygonal barrels I've tested with monometal bullets (Barnes and Lost River) don't perform as expected or to nearly the accuracy they exibit with copper jacket lead. I don't shoot or test any solid monometal bullets out of these type barrels any more as these bullets don't seem to take kindly to be re-sized to the smaller barrel inside dimensions nominally .307nnn. Pressures go high when using the monometal bullets with published "safe" loads and it's been counter-productive as far as I'm concerned. If you're not going to use solid bronze/brass/alloy bullets it's probably not an issue.

The conventional rifled barrels seem more forgiving in the bullet size department and are nominally .308 I.D..

Accuracy between the two types seems to be similar when using copper-jacketed bullets... There are reports that the polygonal barrels are "faster" and more resistant to throat erosion... I haven't been able to do a side-by-side comparison but haven't seen anything to dismiss these claims either.

Hope this helps a bit.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:38 AM
Silver Member

As personal choice in US barrel maker for long range purpose
PAC NOR in 3 groove
G Schneider in polygonal rifling

good shooting

DAN TEC
Old 10-07-2003, 10:57 AM
daveosok

Not all LW barrels are polygon, they only offer a few calibers in polygon. They offer 308, 30-06, 222 and 223.
However if you want to get a barrel in ploygon rifiling that they do not offer you can but you have to order 10 of them.
I wanted a 338 barrel in a 30 inch length but I'm not going to pay $1750.00 for ten barrels. Thats an idea though if any of you are interested in 338 polygonal barrels maybe we could get ten people together and order them?
Dave
Old 10-07-2003, 07:21 PM
Gold Member

Rock all the way his 30 barrels flat out shoot any other 30 cal barrel. LW barrel's might be capable of 1/2 but I am getting sub 1/4 in almost all of my 308 on Rock barrels.

[ 10-07-2003: Message edited by: chris matthews ]
Old 10-07-2003, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member

Dave

Pac Nor makes a .338 in polygonal in you're looking.

DANTEC

I have one of the G Schneider polygonal in .243... It's chambered in 243 Win and shoots very well with the 107MK, 105 Lapua and A-Max.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:01 AM
Bronze Member

Chris and the boys at GA Precision have alot more experience with Rock Barrels that I have.

What I can say about Rock Barrels. There are only 2 employees that build barrels for Rock Creek Barrels. Mike Rock and Kim Theiler. I have never met anyone who is more enthusiastic about what they do for a living. Mike LOVES what he does, Barrels are Not a business to Mike & Kim, ITS THEIR LIFE.

When I was looking for a Barrel, I called Mike, he took his time educating me on barrel making process. Then he invited me to the shop. Please Note: Mike did not know me from Adam...I am a complete stranger.

I went about 6 weeks later. Mike took a barrel blank up, took a few measurements, handed it to me asked if this is the one will do. They all looked the same to me. First we contoured the barrel, then fluted it, rifled it and lapped it. The whole time Mike is taking measurements and explaining the process's to ensure that the end product is within tolerances.

This is the service that Mike provides for the same price as the others.

I consider it an Honor to shoot his barrels.

BY THE WAY. THEY SHOOT BETTER THAN I CAN.