Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

A Middle Weight Contender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 04:13 PM
Silver Member

A Middle Weight Contender

I have had an idea rolling around in my head for the last year or so. I would like to put together a middle weight rifle for medium ranges on up to deer sized game. I have rifles in most caliber offerings. Most are heavy hitters for caliber. For example, 7 mm Rem Mag, 25/06, 300 win Mag, 300 RUM. The idea has been for a low recoiling economical round to shoot but still very much able to play at mid range distances. Ranges somewhere around 600 - 900 yards on steel. I would like to be able to shoot deer out to 700 yards or so. I have a few calibers that i keep returning to but would like to hear what you have to say. There are no right or wrong answers here other than to say that whatever caliber I choose will need to have decent barrel life. I would like to build the rifle to have a 24-26 inch barrel in a #4 or 5 contour that is fluted.

Here are a few of the calibers that I have been thinking about.

6mm Rem
6mm Rem Imp
260 Rem
260 Rem Imp
7mm-08
7mm-08 Imp
Old 12-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Silver Member

Re: A Middle Weight Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecat View Post
I have had an idea rolling around in my head for the last year or so. I would like to put together a middle weight rifle for medium ranges on up to deer sized game. I have rifles in most caliber offerings. Most are heavy hitters for caliber. For example, 7 mm Rem Mag, 25/06, 300 win Mag, 300 RUM. The idea has been for a low recoiling economical round to shoot but still very much able to play at mid range distances. Ranges somewhere around 600 - 900 yards on steel. I would like to be able to shoot deer out to 700 yards or so. I have a few calibers that i keep returning to but would like to hear what you have to say. There are no right or wrong answers here other than to say that whatever caliber I choose will need to have decent barrel life. I would like to build the rifle to have a 24-26 inch barrel in a #4 or 5 contour that is fluted.

Here are a few of the calibers that I have been thinking about.

6mm Rem
6mm Rem Imp
260 Rem
260 Rem Imp
7mm-08
7mm-08 Imp

7mm-08
Old 12-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Silver Member

Why the 7mm-08? Is there something about it that you prefer? What bullet would you choose to go along with it?
Old 12-18-2012, 04:35 PM
Silver Member

I am a huge fan of the .260 remington, but I dont think the 7-08 is any better or worse. You will probably find more factory ammo for a 7mm-08 but both allow you to shoot a 140gr bullet (except the 7 lets you go a bit bigger if you choose) but either of those should be enough for your needs.
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 12-18-2012, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

I have a 7mm-08, and it's a great cal and capable for what you want. The 260 can push 140gr bullets with a G7 BC of 0.3+ about 100fps faster than the 7mm-08 can push 7mm with G7 BC of 0.3+ But the 7mm has a broader bullet selection. Already having a 7mm-08 I would go with a 260. For deer and gongs I'm not seeing any real advantage of one over the other though.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 12-18-2012, 07:10 PM
Silver Member

I would suspect that the 260 will have slightly less recoil. Factory availability of ammo is a non issue since this rifle would never likely see any. The 260 does have Papua brass available though.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:22 PM
Silver Member

I have 2 builds in progress now and when they're done and the gun fund has replenished to a usable level my next one is going to be a "walk around" varmiter in 6mm Rem Improved. There's a possibility it could see some use on pronghorns too but the .25-06 AI that's soon to arrive will probably be king of the hill for them at this household.
I can't give any logical reason for you to chose the 6mm but the ballistics are awesome and all the shooters I know who built or bought a .243 sooner or later say they should have gone 6mm rem. good luck in you're search....