Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Michigan straight wall cartridge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 10:27 PM

Michigan straight wall cartridge

Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. So I live in southern Michigan, where new deer hunting rules have recently been implemented. The new rules are as follows:
.35 caliber or larger
Minimum coal of 1.16 with a maximum of 1.8 inches
Straight wall cartridges only.

My question to you is what weapons platform is going to get me the longest ethical range?

As for myself, I am a former Army marksman with significant long range shooting experience. Prior to this year I have been using a Remington 700P with black hills match 168 moly coat holding .5 moa in the states rifle zone. (Max kill on a deer so far is 124m. Sue me, I like the .

However, with my wife having a due date of two days after opening day, I am regulated to hunting in the new straight walled cartridge zone. My google-fu has returned no previous threads on this topic.

This and subsequent years will be hunting around my families farm. Corn fields with ranges out to 800m easily. My goal is 300m. So far I have decided this year to purchase a h&r .44 handi rifle because I already own a .44 handgun and all the required reloading equipment. It's cheap and will provide a decent 150m weapon at a rate much more preferable on shoulder and wallet than a 12 ga slug gun.

As far as I can tell, an AR platform rifle chambered in .450 bushmaster seems to be my best bet for a viable 300m white tail gun. It delivers my personal requirement of 800lbft at the target distance.

My question to you is, is there some magical wildcat round that I don't know about that will give me the distance that I am looking for? I would love to have have a 600-800m capable weapon, but I just don't see that as possible with the case length restriction.

Any input is valued.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Michigan straight wall cartridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic7816 View Post
Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. So I live in southern Michigan, where new deer hunting rules have recently been implemented. The new rules are as follows:
.35 caliber or larger
Minimum coal of 1.16 with a maximum of 1.8 inches
Straight wall cartridges only.

My question to you is what weapons platform is going to get me the longest ethical range?

As for myself, I am a former Army marksman with significant long range shooting experience. Prior to this year I have been using a Remington 700P with black hills match 168 moly coat holding .5 moa in the states rifle zone. (Max kill on a deer so far is 124m. Sue me, I like the .

However, with my wife having a due date of two days after opening day, I am regulated to hunting in the new straight walled cartridge zone. My google-fu has returned no previous threads on this topic.

This and subsequent years will be hunting around my families farm. Corn fields with ranges out to 800m easily. My goal is 300m. So far I have decided this year to purchase a h&r .44 handi rifle because I already own a .44 handgun and all the required reloading equipment. It's cheap and will provide a decent 150m weapon at a rate much more preferable on shoulder and wallet than a 12 ga slug gun.

As far as I can tell, an AR platform rifle chambered in .450 bushmaster seems to be my best bet for a viable 300m white tail gun. It delivers my personal requirement of 800lbft at the target distance.

My question to you is, is there some magical wildcat round that I don't know about that will give me the distance that I am looking for? I would love to have have a 600-800m capable weapon, but I just don't see that as possible with the case length restriction.

Any input is valued.

Looks like Michigan want's to increase there deer herd.

That has to be one of the strangest regulations I have ever heard of.

I can see a minimum caliber or cartridge, but a maximum length in a straight wall case?

Sounds like more tree huggers to me.

J E CUSTOM
Old 07-11-2014, 10:48 PM

Well, this is a previous shotgun only zone that is just allowing brass cases for the first time. Population density is being used as a reason for the strict regs.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:24 AM

I know it's not a straight walled cartridge but before I bought a 44 mag single shot rifle I would look into an Ultimate Muzzleloader, they can shoot 200 grains of Triple 7 powder and are accurate to 400 yards or more. Unless they changed the laws they are legal in the Michigan shotgun zone. But that's just my opinion.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:31 AM

35 wheelen is going to be your best bet.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:46 AM

.35 whelen is out, it's not a straight wall cartridge and the case length is far too long.

I look at the ultimate muzzleloader, which is now being marketed by Remington. Seems to have a 200 fps advantage over .450 bushmaster with the same bullet. Which makes me wonder if the ml is making that velocity with a 26 inch barrel and the bushmaster out of a 20 inch, could I build an AR with a 24 inch barrel and produce similar velocity?

The AR platform appeals to me due to ease of carrying in the woods, modular ability, and reduced recoil. The semi-auto is nice, but a rather moot point in long range deer hunting.

I have long been a Remington fan, but I have not been impressed with their recent build quality and am hesitant to spend $1,300 on a first run muzzleloader.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic7816 View Post
.35 whelen is out, it's not a straight wall cartridge and the case length is far too long.

I look at the ultimate muzzleloader, which is now being marketed by Remington. Seems to have a 200 fps advantage over .450 bushmaster with the same bullet. Which makes me wonder if the ml is making that velocity with a 26 inch barrel and the bushmaster out of a 20 inch, could I build an AR with a 24 inch barrel and produce similar velocity?

The AR platform appeals to me due to ease of carrying in the woods, modular ability, and reduced recoil. The semi-auto is nice, but a rather moot point in long range deer hunting.

I have long been a Remington fan, but I have not been impressed with their recent build quality and am hesitant to spend $1,300 on a first run muzzleloader.

I would recommend the 450 bushmaster for many reasons. More than one shot, less hassle, no cleaning if not fired, ETC.

The velocity is not that much of an issue with the energy developed with the factory loaded rounds
in a 20" barrel.

The 450 bushmaster uses pistol bullets (.452 ) and there are lots of choices of jacketed bullets
from 200 grain to 325 grain, and cast bullets up to 375 grain.

I have one with a 24'' barrel on it and my velocity is 2400 ft/sec Avg and is devastating on large hogs.

An AR in 450 would be hard to beat In My Opinion.

J E CUSTOM