Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Meloniting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Meloniting

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
The new thinking is to lap the throat after chambering, check with a bore scope, and send it in. That is what I'm doing with my next one. Saves a lot of hassle.......rich
This is if you start with a lapped barrel to begin with.....
I've been considering the same thing... that said, one of my smiths (I have two ) said he wanted me to check the accuracy before doing the treating just to make sure nothing is wrong. Also, I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt to run a few pills down the bore to burnish it a little.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-31-2013, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member

That's what I was thinking. Due to the hardening process, I was thinking it would be better to break in before treating.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-31-2013, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
I've been considering the same thing... that said, one of my smiths (I have two ) said he wanted me to check the accuracy before doing the treating just to make sure nothing is wrong. Also, I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt to run a few pills down the bore to burnish it a little.
Checking the accuracy is a good point. I guess you wouldn't want to spend another $100 on a dud........Rich
Old 04-01-2013, 11:09 AM
Silver Member

Just had one done over christmas from Rodney Lainer @ mmi-tru tec, it came out great, the black it turns the stainless steel matches the cera-coat almost to a t and you cannot spray ceracoat that even. the cost for barrel and break was $65 + 20 return shipping. I will never build another gun again that does not have a melonited barrel