Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Measuring scope height

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2014, 12:14 PM
Gold Member

Re: Measuring scope height

Quote:
Originally Posted by seidersjoden View Post
4xforfun,
Here's my predicament. I saw a previous post you responded to me on about sight height. You used rem 700 action... .68", 30mm =.59" and for an example you used 1" scope rings. Your results were was 2.27". If I add my .125" difference in scope ring height to your example I get 2.39". I figured that was easy enough but out curiosity I measured everything myself here's what I got:
For my results, I have the same scope and action but with 1.125" scope rings and by my calculation with both a ruler and calipers I'm getting a total of 2.15"-2.16" on the average.

How come my measurements were so much different. By your calculations what scope height should I technically have if I have a 700 action, 1.125" rings and a 30mm scope?

Thanks
Joden
NO.......PLEASE RE READ....My result was 2.02, not 2.27.

.68 + .59+ .75 = 2.02 I used 30mm tube and 3/4 inch (.75 ring/base height)

Now, .68 + .59 + 1.125 = 2.395. The math should work IF ....IF you are measuring the ring/base height correctly. 30 mm = 1.18 inches...devide by 2 = .59. A Rem action is 1.35"..devide by 2 = .68. Those measurments are pretty much carved in stone....simple math.

Do you have one piece or two piece bases? Are they/is it tapered? If your base and rings are seperate, did you put them together and measure , or just measure each piece and add?
Old 06-07-2014, 01:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post

Now, .68 + .59 + 1.125 = 2.395. The math should work IF ....IF you are measuring the ring/base height correctly. 30 mm = 1.18 inches...devide by 2 = .59. A Rem action is 1.35"..devide by 2 = .68. Those measurments are pretty much carved in stone....simple math.

Do you have one piece or two piece bases? Are they/is it tapered? If your base and rings are seperate, did you put them together and measure , or just measure each piece and add?
Sure about that...read your own post on this sight:
What Variable to change Wen truing my Weapon at Extended Ranges

Although the math works out I'm not getting even close to those measurements when I use the several different methods out there to cross check you math?
Old 06-07-2014, 01:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

I have a one piece base and everything mounted, I measured base and rings from just behind the front scope mount where the ejector ports are at.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:32 PM
Silver Member

I measure (with my calipers) the diameter of the scope tube, the diameter of the rifle bolt, divide both in half, then add the space from the top of the bolt to the bottom of the tube measured right in front of or right in back of the turret housing and that seems to work just fine. If you can't get the caliper to the bolt because your action has a closed top, then I would measure from bolt to scope right behind the receiver with the bolt retracted just enough to access the main body. Should still give decent enough data for success.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magcreedmoor View Post
I measure (with my calipers) the diameter of the scope tube, the diameter of the rifle bolt, divide both in half, then add the space from the top of the bolt to the bottom of the tube measured right in front of or right in back of the turret housing and that seems to work just fine. If you can't get the caliper to the bolt because your action has a closed top, then I would measure from bolt to scope right behind the receiver with the bolt retracted just enough to access the main body. Should still give decent enough data for success.
Thank you
Old 06-07-2014, 05:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Firguring scope height is simple math. Start with a disasembled gun/scope/rings/basses.

First....find the diameter of your action.....ie Rem 700 is 1.35"...divide that by 2 = .68"

Second..... figure out the diameter of your main tube on your scope and divide it by two...1" tube = .5 ....30mm tube (1.18" divide by two) =.59"

Third, measure how tall your base/ring combo is from where it mates to the reciever to the BOTTOM of the rings where the scope tube sits. lets say it is .75"

now total up your figures...1/2 dimater of action + 1/2 the diameter of the scope tube + ring/base height............ (.68 + .59 [30mm] + .75 = 2.02" scope height.

It really doesn't matter which base you measure if your rings/bases are tapered unless you are ULTRA ANAL!!! If you are, then measure both of them and divide by two the get your ring/base height.

And to the guy who said the the bullet drop is different (317.1" vs 319.1") based on scope height...HOGWASH.....bullet drop is bullet drop is bullet drop. The bullet leaves the tube and drops xxx.xxx.....the bullet does not know weather there is a scope on the gun. Now, IMPACT POINTS will be different because you are sending the bullet out on a different trajectory.
Read this post...read it very carfully... Paragraph five......." now total up your figures............= 2.02 scope height".... It came from THIS thread. This is also the thread in which you pulled my quote...post # 21. I may well have used differnt numbers for the ring/base height on a differnt thread..I don't know, because you didn't link there origonaly. I simply used the numbers FROM THIS POST, WHICH YOU USED AS A QUOTE.

If I use1" ring/base height then the 2.27 inch number is correct.

As far as measuring rings bases....pretty sure they need to be disasembled from the reciever to get any kind of accurate measurment.

BUT...as I have said all along.....It really dosn't matter much at all. If you are off by 1/4 inch with your scope height measurement ..say 2.15 vs 2.40...with a 300 yard zero........ you are about 3/4 of an inch off.....that is less than one tenth MOA. at 1000 yards.
Think about that for a bit!!!
Old 06-07-2014, 06:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Read this post...read it very carfully... Paragraph five......." now total up your figures............= 2.02 scope height".... It came from THIS thread. This is also the thread in which you pulled my quote...post # 21. I may well have used differnt numbers for the ring/base height on a differnt thread..I don't know, because you didn't link there origonaly. I simply used the numbers FROM THIS POST, WHICH YOU USED AS A QUOTE.

If I use1" ring/base height then the 2.27 inch number is correct.

As far as measuring rings bases....pretty sure they need to be disasembled from the reciever to get any kind of accurate measurment.

BUT...as I have said all along.....It really dosn't matter much at all. If you are off by 1/4 inch with your scope height measurement ..say 2.15 vs 2.40...with a 300 yard zero........ you are about 3/4 of an inch off.....that is less than one tenth MOA. at 1000 yards.
Think about that for a bit!!!
You have a good point, I enjoy dorking out, out of principal to find the actually numbers, personal satisfaction I guess. I'll stick with what I came up with and call it good, I think maybe my base is shorter than what you use for your example creating different numbers.