Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Measuring Scope Height with a 20MOA Rail ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 03:55 AM
Bronze Member

Measuring Scope Height with a 20MOA Rail ??

Hi Guys,,,yes it's probably been asked before but i cant find a clear answer ?? Is it possible to do ?? where do we measure from ?? I have measured from firing pin to centre of the scope mounts.....as the rail is higher at the rear, is it better to measure at the objective ???

Cheers, Ray.....

Old 08-29-2013, 10:28 PM

Re: Measuring Scope Height with a 20MOA Rail ??

Does anyone have an answer to this? I would also appreciate the help.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:57 PM
Bronze Member

Ive always measured scope tube and bolt diameter, and distance form bolt to scope. Take half the tube half the bolt and add them numbers to distance between tube and bolt. Always work great for me out past a thousand.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member

I measure center of the bolt to center of the tube at the center of the elevation knob. In my pea brain and limited knowledge of the modern rifle scope that is the place that makes the most sense to me.

Someone with a more working knowledge of a rifle scope should chime in as to whether it makes a difference as to where in the elevation scheme your zero lies. I use a 10MOA base and where the scope is zeroed leaves about 45MOA up so it is zeroed off center. Does that make a difference?

In my setup a 1/8 inch difference 1.75" verses 1.875" equals a .5 MOA difference in Exbal at 800 yards. Measuring at the center of the elevation turret very carefully has worked OK for me as far as I can tell and that adjustment is 1.875".

On another note that is another adjustment one can make when proving a drop chart and trying to make all points of impact agree with the generated chart especially farther out even though I have not done that....food for thought.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 09-04-2013, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member

Determining Scope Height Above Bore within AccurateShooter.com

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures
Old 09-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post
I measure center of the bolt to center of the tube at the center of the elevation knob.
This is what I do too and it makes sense to me. If there is a better way or reason to do it different I would like to know.

Jeff
Old 09-04-2013, 08:04 PM
Silver Member

tell me if this is wrong, i measure the scope objective bell/ by 2, then measure the diameter of the barrel directly below that and / by 2 then add those two numbers to the distance between the bell and barrel rite?