Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

this *)$$#@ me off look at this

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Re: this *)$$#@ me off look at this

sorry folks. it's been a little busy with hunting season in full swing around here. I have a few minutes and thought I'd drop in. I guess I didn't make it clear in my previous post. Keith has spoken out on numerous occassions against canned hunting. We go through considerable effort to get good footage of the hunts on our shows. We've had numerous occassions when the hunter could have easily taken the shot, but the cameraman wasn't ready, and vice versa, on more than one occassion, including a hunt I was on recently, the cameraman was ready - but I couldn't get a clean shot.
as for the comments about Wyoming verses a fenced ranch. I couldn't agree more. I think you'll find, if you watch our shows in 2007,we have several shows where Keith goes hunting on open range. Our shows try to bring variety, including ranches, open range and hunting opportunities in other countries. Our recent show about hunting mulies in Wyoming was well received by those who saw it. We use outfitters to help us coordinate when and where we can hunt, our crew is on the road 330 days every year. We film two shows for The Outdoor Channel one about hunting and the other about fishing. Both take an average of 3-5 days per trip (some longer, others not) to do the kind of show we want to have you see.
now, about long range shooting. I think it's great. I've no problem with it. I've hunted a number of places where long range was just about the best option available. With the proper rifle, proper scope, and the practice, training necessary I think it's fine and a challenge all unto itself.
I guess this is disjointed, but my point is this, we all have our own methods and preferred hunting choices. Some can easily go to Wyoming, Montana and other open range locations to hunt. Others can't. Ranches provide an opportunity for these folks to hunt there. If we restrict hunting to one or two methods, and not include ranches (high fence or low) and regulate them so we don't have the "canned" hunts folks find unacceptable we increase hunters, participation in hunting, and grow the sport we enjoy. Every hunter I know has hunted a variety of locations, ranches to open range. Some prefer one over the other but they are willing to expand their knowledge of the various ways to hunt, as long as it's legal and meets the ethical standard of the individual.
thanks for the comments, and if I can get away from things again I'll come and visit.
I hope all of you are having a successful hunting season.