Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Mcmillan or manners?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 01:42 AM

Mcmillan or manners?

Looking to build a 260 or 6.5 284 by next year. Mostly going to hunt with it but might do a little long range competition if I can find some shoots in my area. Which stock would be better? McMillan or Manners? Any other suggestions? Haven't decided if I want adjustable cheek considering i'll mostly be hunting with it. Thanks for any advice
Old 05-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Silver Member

Re: Mcmillan or manners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurnz View Post
Looking to build a 260 or 6.5 284 by next year. Mostly going to hunt with it but might do a little long range competition if I can find some shoots in my area. Which stock would be better? McMillan or Manners? Any other suggestions? Haven't decided if I want adjustable cheek considering i'll mostly be hunting with it. Thanks for any advice
Go to their websites and look at all of the models and see which one you like. As a general rule, I think the manners stocks are a little lighter than McMillan. They both make excellent stocks so you can't go wrong.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Gold Member

I have a manners T2 on my 7 SAUM and I love it. I put an adjustable saddle style cheek piece and it works great. I do have to remove it when I clean my rifle. I highly recomend Manners and an adjustable cheek piece. Not to mention it is much quicker to get a Manners compared to a McMillan. When I ordered mine, 2 summers ago, McMillan had about a year wait and my Manners was done in just a couple months.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM
Old 05-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Silver Member

If you can find someone with a couple, meet up and try them out. It's hard to appreciate a stock from pictures on the website. Get them in your hands and see what feels right.

Presonally I like my McM A3s and Rem Var. For hunting, I also like to do a McM rem classic, hunter, or varmint; and do a mid weight rifle.

Last edited by SpencerSS; 05-03-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Bronze Member

I have both brands and like them both never had an issue. You will have to wait for atleast 6 months for a McMillian unless your smith has one or you can find one. Generally Manners are a little lighter but if you go with an adjustable cheak piecr it will add one lb to the stock.

Good luck I agree if you can find someone that has one of the model you are looking at take a look and lay behind them if possible

Good Luck looking forward to seeing what you go with
Old 05-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Bronze Member

Love my Manners!
Old 05-03-2011, 11:37 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

They are both world class stocks for sure. The McMillan stocks have more finish options as far as gel coat color combos but the Manner stocks offer the digital camo patterns and now have molded in camo patterns as well.

Used to be that McMillan had a huge advantage in stock model options, not so much the case anymore with Manners really pushing hard to expand their list of models and options.

Pretty much, most stock designes from McMillan now have a Manners counterpart.

In reality, it comes down to personal preference and thats about it. I have used both, I currently own both and I have fitted many dozens of both of these stocks and never had a problem. Take your pick, you really can not go wrong with either of these great stocks.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com