Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

This may have been answerd but i need more Info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2001, 06:00 PM
Bronze Member

Re: This may have been answerd but i need more Info

Coyote Slayer,

Under any method of evaluation it was an extraordinary shot. Congratulations.
Old 07-30-2001, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

Coyote Slayer

Yes, it was a fine shot and a fox is a VERY small target. Good going.
Keep us informed as to your progress this year on the fur bearers.

I envy your life style there. Sounds like the true, "last frontier."

Darryl Cassel
Old 07-31-2001, 05:43 AM
Platinum Member

Coyote Slayer

Let me also add that it was a very fine shot.

I've been watching this thread from the first post and, like the others, am detail oriented. No disrespect meant but like Warren said, we get into the details and the data didn't match well. This data discrepancy quickly, as you saw, drew comments and questions.

As you are now keenly aware, the folks here at Long Range Hunting are here to learn and provide accurate information.

Again, I'm glad you got the data figured out and we're on our way again to answering your initial questions.

My observations on long range small caliber terminal ballistics has been that when the velocity gets too low and bullet is essentially a non-expanding solid. The small size of the .224 bullet and the short length don't allow for much damage due to tumble (a fox is a small critter and the bullet may not get an opportunity to tumble).
I've found that a longer bullet seems to work better at long range, twofold reason, better shape and higher BC, and when it upsets (tumbles) it makes a large wound channel.
I used a .243 with 70 grain Ballistic Tips on deer at distances past 500 yards, double lung shots, and generally had pass through wounds and a dead critter in short order. But I later switched to a 6mm-06 and the 107 MatchKing and saw considerable difference in wound effect, some of this was certainly due to the faster 6mm-06 but I believe the long 107 MK had a great deal to do with the significant difference.

On a fox at those distances I don't know what would work well, but on a larger animal the bullet gets a little opportunity to 'dance around' a little. I guess the fox issue would be to go far a bullet that makes a large hole on a pass through because I don't believe you'll find a bullet that will fragment of mushroom at those low velocities.
Old 07-31-2001, 10:35 AM
Bronze Member

A one shot kill at 1800 yards on a fox!?

I bow and prostrate myself before you as a Varming Hunting/Long-Range Shooting GOD!

Regardles of the luck factor involved in such a shot it takes some serious skill to even put the bullet into the right neighborhood at that sort of range on such a small target.

Congratulations! You should be proud of such an accomplishment and tell people about it. The only problem is that outside of this board you are going to find that most won't believe it. I have noticed a certain glazing over of the eyes when speaking to others of shots exceeding the 1000yd accepted norm.

With regard to the range determination issue. Currently I am using a GPS for this function which is a very good method (read less expensive) of removing the errors inherent in long-range laser determinations. The only problem is that the GPS has to physically go all the way out there to make the measurement.

Dave,

Have you looked at the 95gr Berger VLD for your long-range 6mm shooting? This bullet has the same BC as the 107 MK but the 12gr less weight allows that much more velocity for the really long shots.

Peter