Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Maximum Range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2006, 08:58 PM
Silver Member

Maximum Range

How do you determine what is the Max range you would take a shot at a animal. Ie what is the minum energy the bullet would need to have say for elk. Or would you let the accuracy of the rifle set you limitations?
DR B

Three rules of Life: If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. Don't worry about what people think; they don't do it very often. Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:06 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Maximum Range

This is my own personal opinion:
#1---Energy---on Elk I would like to have no less than 1200 ft-lb energy.
#2---Accuracy---on Elk I need to hit a 20" diameter plate consitantly. on the conditions I plan to shoot.
Your maximum range is that at which you can hit the 20" diameter plate consistantly and still producing 1200 ft-lb or energy or more.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 10-17-2006, 02:39 AM
Platinum Member

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 10-17-2006, 06:47 AM
Platinum Member

I think that the whole energy debate is well and fine but I think that it boils down to deposited energy more than retained energy. I meen if you shoot an Elk with a 378Wby and a 300gr Solid bullet desgined for penitrating FEET instraed of inches then you not gonna kill him any faster than a 243 with a 80gr Partition. The big solid just won't leave enough energy in the animal to shut it down as fast as the smaller more violent round.
If you stick a 45acp in the ribs of a bull elk and shoot it hes gonna die pretty quick due to the massive damage on the lungs , the bullet may only just get to the second lung but it will kill him pretty quick and thats with less than 500ftlbs of energy.

So I feel that it boils down to the correct bullet choice rather than the energy it produces if you have a good bullet that will expand and penitrate reliably at the velocity you tend to hit the criter then you should have no worries.

I think that my 300 win mag shooting a 200gr Nosler accubond at 2900fps would be enough gun to kill an elk at 1000yds if the angle was correct as in broad side , or quartering to or away , this same bullet out of a 300RUM would probably broaden you shot oppertunity.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:16 AM
Silver Member

I had a similar discussion but in the archery world. Lots of guys get hung up on broadheads. Is the size right? Are the blades sharp enough? Is the diameter great enough?

One day I was in my LPS and I asked the guy what he thought of the whole debate. I will never forget what he said, "What does all that matter if you can't hit where you are aiming".

Does all that matter? Absolutely! But if you can't hit what you are aiming at, what difference does it make. I think you guys are right on with the concerns, but I think I would put accuracy #1. Kind of a loaded question, but a very good topic I think.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member

I determine the maximum range for which I can accurately shoot. Then I will figure out my ballistics and see how much energy I have at the farthest range I plan to shoot. I believe elk need around 800-1000lbs. I have seen them drop with that kinda energy. For deer I limit myself to 700 yards because thats about all the farther I can accurately shoot on deer size game. On elk, I bet I can go to around 900 or so because there vitals are double the size of a deer. You just want to make sure your bullet has enough velocity and will open up enough at that kinda range. It helps if you have a little bit of energy left to.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:55 AM
Platinum Member

BJ

I agree with J D Jones about bullet choice.

The published data on this subject (taylor knockout Values)
ar as follows, Elk=2000 ft/lbs,deer=1200 ft/lbs.

This is for 'drop where shot' kills but the bullet should
end up just under the skin on the opposite side so the animal has all the energy delivered to him.

There is no question you can do it with less but the animal
may run for a ways before falling,and then terrain would dictate shot placement to place the animal in the best place for processing/packing out.

Select a bullet that expands early and retains most
of its weight(Example) accubond or other bonded core
bullets, this is the best way to transfer energy.

Also the taylor values are based on the assumption that
passthroughs are normal,so imagine if you could deliver
2000 ftlbs to an elk with no passthrough what would
happen.

So look at your load vel/bulletweight and type,then look
at terminal vel/energy for your max accuracy range then
decide.

Every one has an opinion so choose wisely and your hunts
will all be good ones.

J E CUSTOM