Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Max point blank range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2007, 02:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertip-co View Post
PBR is junk science(junk balllistics) created by gun magazine guys. It means nothing. Point blank is 1" from the end of your barrel. I've read hundreds of articles about PBR and it's all marketing crapola. Just go by any good ballistics chart or make your own.
:confused: Just when I thought I had heard it all!!! :(

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 09-29-2007, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member

Boys. it's only a month until rifle season opens, and I'm confused. Does the term "point blank" really mean the same as "maximum point blank range"? And who originated the term "point blank" anyhow (was it the military?) and does it really mean 1" from the muzzle? Am I going to have to get 1" from my game to shoot 'em at maximum point blank range? Hell, I might as well just bayonet 'em. Is that illegal? Maybe there's a license. Man, huntin' gets harder and harder!

Help me, Help me, I've fallen and cain't get up! Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 09-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by specweldtom View Post
Boys. it's only a month until rifle season opens, and I'm confused. Does the term "point blank" really mean the same as "maximum point blank range"? And who originated the term "point blank" anyhow (was it the military?) and does it really mean 1" from the muzzle? Am I going to have to get 1" from my game to shoot 'em at maximum point blank range? Hell, I might as well just bayonet 'em. Is that illegal? Maybe there's a license. Man, huntin' gets harder and harder!

Help me, Help me, I've fallen and cain't get up! Tom
Yes, "point blank" and "point blank range" or "maximum point blank range" or "PBR" or "MPBR" it all reffers to the same thing.
Here's a quote from ballistics Explorer:
Quote:
The concept of point blank range is based on the principle that game animals have a vital zone. And placing a shot anywhere inside the vital zone does the job. Within the maximum point blank range, the shooter can aim at the center of the target's vital zone without having to hold high or low to compensate for the bullet's trajectory. This concept also works with silhouette shooting.
The easiest way for me to explain it is like this:

Let's say you have a 6" paper plate that you want to able to hit every time by aiming dead center regardless of the distance; so you ask me, at what distance should I zero my rifle to do this and what would be the Maximum distance that I can place the 6" paper plate to still be able to hit it?

I would get all the info about your weapon, the conditions etc. plug it into one of my programs and tell it that the vital Zone (VZ) is 6" inches. Then the program tells me where I need to zero Example 260 yards and where would be my maximum distance. Example 315 yards. So anything from the muzzle all the way to 315 yards, all you have to do is aim dead center of the target without making any corrections and if you do your job you will hit the paper plate some where inside the vitals.
From the muzzle to 315 yards, the bullet will not go higher then 3 inches, nor it will go lower than 3 inches.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Silver Member

MPBR - Exists

All I can say about this is I have owned my 7MMRM for 18 plus years and I have proven this through actual shooting that it does work. I'm zeroed out bullseye shot @ 336 yards and MPBR is 370 yards with a 12 " hold over and adjusting properly for the wind I will hit @436 yards and with 30" hold over and adjusting properly for the wind I can hit @550 yards. All I can say about this is I have done it. PERIOD talking and reading is one thing - GO OUT AND PROVE IT. I HAVE. (This is with Roll your own rounds)

One month is probably not long enough to insure a good MPBR with a hunting season just coming up.
It takes time, practice and shooting.
I would insure that you can hit effectively @100 and 200 yards for this years hunting season.

Last edited by badaboom; 09-30-2007 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

Not to worry. My last post was pretty lame humor. I was jist funnin' ya'll.

I don't really give a crap who came up with either phrase, I've been using mpbr for years, just asked if there was a widely accepted window size for determining it. I was using 4"--2 up and 2 down. That works with a 200yd zero, but does limit mpbr even with a 30 x 378. On the plus side, that small of a window shortens mpbr enough to pretty much take wind drift out of consideration, particularly with the 30 by. ss7 made a lot of sense. Mpbr should be determined more by the size of the vital area of game than an arbitrary number, but as you allow a bigger window, mpbr shots get longer and you have to start doping wind. He also said that if you have time, to heck with mpbr, dial the shot in.

I got some good answers to a reasonable question.

on edit: The doctors say that I'm much better now, and soon will be able to eat oatmeal all by myself.

Thanks to all. Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time

Last edited by specweldtom; 09-30-2007 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by specweldtom View Post
Not to worry. My last post was pretty lame humor. I was jist funnin' ya'll.

I don't really give a crap who came up with either phrase, I've been using mpbr for years, just asked if there was a widely accepted window size for determining it. I was using 4"--2 up and 2 down. That works with a 200yd zero, but does limit mpbr even with a 30 x 378. On the plus side, that small of a window shortens mpbr enough to pretty much take wind drift out of consideration, particularly with the 30 by. ss7 made a lot of sense. Mpbr should be determined more by the size of the vital area of game than an arbitrary number, but as you allow a bigger window, mpbr shots get longer and you have to start doping wind. He also said that if you have time, to heck with mpbr, dial the shot in.

I got some good answers to a reasonable question.

on edit: The doctors say that I'm much better now, and soon will be able to eat oatmeal all by myself.

Thanks to all. Tom
That's the reason some good willed people that want to help others stop doing it because of ill lame humor like that; you never know when will be the next time someone else tries to make an idiot out of you and you don't help someone that really needs the help thinking that it's again some garbage like that! :mad:

Old 10-01-2007, 07:06 AM
Bronze Member

The one factor that seems to be absent from discussions on mpbr is that most folks miss every time they shoot an animal. By missing I mean that you don't hit your exact point of aim on an animal. Often, the cross hair isn't even exactly on the poa when the trigger breaks.

If a hunter ,certainly not one on lrh, but a hunter, uses a calculated MPBR of 4" radius and can only hold within an inch of an intended POA, then the actual radius is 5" and the calculations are invalid. The same goes for the size of rifle groups. If a rifle shoots 2 MOA, then an MOA must be added to the MPBR radius.

The MPBR calculated radius should be smaller that the vital size of an animal. When hunting in cover, it should be smaller than the likely size holes in cover that you may shoot through.