Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

A-max? More on the debate..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 10:26 AM
Silver Member

Re: A-max? More on the debate..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
If you're going to shoot an elk with amax bullets you need to keep them out of the shoulder bones. These will do best in the ribs only. I've shot coues bucks up to moose with them and the last place you want an amax at any range or speed is heavy bone. Keep them in the ribs and you're fine. Shoulders will make life suck quickly.

These are much more frail than sst's. I have found the sst's to have much higher bc's than advertised. IMO, sst's are still light for elk but much better than amax's.

All that said, I love amax's for hunting medium sized game. They open quickly and reliably but will vaporize on heavy bone.
How do they compare to a berger if you hit heavy bone? My 300wsm is my elk gun my 243 is my mule deer gun. I want to shoot the same bullet I practice with. And I would expect the bullet to perform well at 50 yards to 800+ yards.. I don't PLAN on shooting the shoulder but it can happen to the best of us in the right hunting situation..
This bull I shot 2 weeks ago was my first kill with a berger and I was impressed.... however I didn't really get to test the bullet. Both shots punched in the lungs and exited about the size of a 50c piece. But both bullet missed any bone. Ribs and all.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:36 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
If you're going to shoot an elk with amax bullets you need to keep them out of the shoulder bones. These will do best in the ribs only. I've shot coues bucks up to moose with them and the last place you want an amax at any range or speed is heavy bone. Keep them in the ribs and you're fine. Shoulders will make life suck quickly.

These are much more frail than sst's. I have found the sst's to have much higher bc's than advertised. IMO, sst's are still light for elk but much better than amax's.

All that said, I love amax's for hunting medium sized game. They open quickly and reliably but will vaporize on heavy bone.
How do they compare to a berger if you hit heavy bone? My 300wsm is my elk gun my 243 is my mule deer gun. I want to shoot the same bullet I practice with. And I would expect the bullet to perform well at 50 yards to 800+ yards.. I don't PLAN on shooting the shoulder but it can happen to the best of us in the right hunting situation..
This bull I shot 2 weeks ago was my first kill with a berger and I was impressed.... however I didn't really get to test the bullet. Both shots punched in the lungs and exited about the size of a 50c piece. But both bullet missed any bone. Ribs and all.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

I didn't see were you said which bullet weight you would shoot -i definately go w/the 208 amax.
Up close w/an amax isn't the 'best' idea but i'm sure a 208amax at two feet away fired into the lung area of an elk would kill it -208grs is a lot of mass .
I think you would be happy w/the performance at normal hunting ranges but if you are hunting tight terrain where a shot can [likely] pop up at close range there are many better bullets to choose from.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:55 PM
Silver Member

I've seen more than a few deer killed with a 7WSM and 162 Amax. Seems to do the trick nicely.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:57 PM
Bronze Member

I have been using the .308 178gr Amax for the last 2 years. I used it last year on antelope and mule deer. I shoot a .308 Winchester and have found that at the lower velocities (2700 fps) they are excellent.

You can see pics of the deer and entrance/exit wounds here (just scroll down to the post by user jamesmc2)

amax for big game

They provide nice expansion and a devestating wound channel through the vital organs. This year I went on a high desert elk hunt. Lots of open terrain with 300-400yd shots being common. I worked up a "stalking" load with the 180gr Hornady Interlock for shots less than 200yds and stuck with the 178gr Amax for my long range load.

While working into position on a bull about a 1/2 mile away I bumped a nice six point from his bed. He finally stopped at 320 yards. Both hits were quatering away. First entered the lower chest just in front of the heart and exited the neck on the opposite side. This broke ribs going in and out and left a 1.5 inch exit. This round alone would have been fatal as it destroyed several major blood vessels. He was stopped but still standing so I shot again. This second hit was in the high shoulder. It went through the upper scapula (which is only 1/4" thick) and penetrated the both upper lungs. The bullet was found under the hide on the off hand shoulder. Besides the scapula and ribs it had not hit any major bone. I would guess that weight retention was about 50%. In my opinion the bullet did a nice job. For those shooting faster velocities like a 300 WM or RUM I would say go with the 208gr Amax or another heavier built bullet. After three kills I think that for the .308 Win the 165gr or 178gr Amax is a nice hunting bullet. I use it because it is the most accurate bullet out of my gun.

Here is the pic of the elk killed by the 178gr Amax
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
A-max? More on the debate..-6x6-20profile.jpg  
Old 10-14-2012, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

My dad has killed several white tail deer with 162 Amax in his Ruger #1 7mm mag. I know you asked about Elk and I have shot a 5x5 Elk at 60 yards with the 155 Amax high sholder shot he had enough in him to turn down the mountain side a few steps and flip flopped down the side of the Mtn! I also shot a 4x4 muley very close to the same location 2 years later again with the 155 Amax it was running when I shot it at about 40 to 50 yards . Best I remember it was a double lung shot and he ran about 70 yards if that much . He would jump downed aspen and on the other side would look like you poured out a gallon of blood.

Like coyboy mentioned shot placement !
I wouldnt hesitate to use an Amax.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:30 AM
Silver Member

This is all very good info thanks guys. I think they look like a great bullet. I know everyone has tlsaid they aren't good on bone, but I would imagine a 208 gr bullet smashing into front shoulder would carry enough energy to do some massive damage. I think I would be shooting the 208 around 2750-2800 fps.
Atleast this clears up the bullets are good for hunting. Now idk if I should make the jump from berger or not lol