Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

max acceptible group size on game

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2002, 04:20 PM
Silver Member

Re: max acceptible group size on game

rufous,
I think frankg is right yall are talking about two differnt shooting circumstances.From how we shoot,group size(within reason)does not matter as much as you think.Shooting prone at 1000 yds. a 10 shot group in ten inches CENTERED on target is pretty tough.But putting one or two shots in a ten inch target is not all that hard.For instance wonce we sight are guns in at 100yds. and we know that the gun is capeble of holding .7 to .8 MOA at distance we rarely ever shoot for group size agian.We shoot on 15in. square gongs and chest size(18in. tall 24in. wide) gongs.When we shoot we call hit and engage the next one. To miss one out to 800yds with the first shot is rare.When we take a shot we control the situation,competiters at matches cant.

We used to measure the deer killed,even on small southern deer you have about a 17in. square to shoot at.At long range as long as you hit the body it really doesn't matter.The deer dont react the same as one hit at close range.All that really matters to us(me)is consitant one or two shot hits not group size once the barrel has heated up or the wind changes or everything else that efectes the shot.

SINCERILY THE GRIM REAPER.
Old 01-31-2002, 04:59 PM

Last deer season I shot a group which I felt was important. I used a target with 15 one inch measurments above the bull. I leave my scope set for 300yds untill necessary to adjust it for a longer shot. Every 4 days or so, I put up the same target at 100 yds, cranked up the elevation to 15 minutes, and placed another shot to the group, and then set the scope back to the 300 yd zero. As the season progressed, and the group developed, I had a pretty good idea as to what I could expect with first shot/cold barrel/scope adjustment, and knew that the system was still working. A good thing to know!
Old 02-02-2002, 05:24 PM
Silver Member

I find that range finding scopes to to inaccurate when it comes to jugding distance to many diffearant size critters out there. The only accurate method is a good laser range finder. I have tested mine with a laser survey instrument and found it to be well with in the advertized range. plus or minus one yard.