Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Match King Kills - Pictures please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2003, 08:51 PM
Gold Member

Re: Match King Kills - Pictures please

950 yard exit
300g SMK
Old 09-26-2003, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member

Dan,

The only thing I really feel I need an X bullet for is BB's (Brown Bear) up close.

The X bullet doesn't expand as well as the lead core bullets do after a couple hundred yards, even when fired at quite high MV, so they are definitely not my choice for very LR.

If I had a problem with a bullet zipping on through game and not doing enough damage to drop it, the last thing I'd replace the bullet with is an X bullet. I'd expect double the same problem if I did. It's really quite "odd" that your results went the way they did, I definitely would have expected the result to be the exact opposite. Any ideas as to what changed the effect? Coincidence, or have you put a finger on it?

Ian did indicate he was getting pass though shots with 200gr SMK's and not with 200gr Accubonds on steel at distant range, 700 yds I think he said. Maybe the SMK opens up a little later than one might expect it would, or just mushrooms much smaller in diameter letting it penitrate better than an X bullet even does...

Maybe it's that the X bullet holds more weight and thus travels through the vitals with much more retained velocity than the SMK had been. Everything may have looked similar in the end, but the X bullet was more traumatic to the animals... Justa wild ass guess is all [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2003, 10:57 AM
Bronze Member

Whistle pig, I can understand your frustration/aggrivation with all the doubters. However you should not give up on them, The reason I say this is because there are alot of guys like me who never felt the need or desire to hunt long range, then things change to where for me, it is either give up hunting forever, or learn to hunt long range.
I understand there is a fella about 20-25 miles from me who has a 1 mile range. But unless you are already capable of that range he does not Want you there. I can't understand someone that knowledgable NOT wanting to help someone else getting started in this.
Remember it can be awfully frustrating for us beginners when people who are doing this does not want to share their knowledge or help teach even the basic long range reloading skills.
Fortunantly this site is very friendly to the newbies, and everyone wants to help us.

Thanks guys,
John
Old 09-27-2003, 11:21 PM
Silver Member

Halfbreed,
I will never give up trying to help folks that want to be helped. All this stemed from a post in Benchrest Central a week ago. It got very heated at times from folks that had never used SMK's to hunt.

Without ever trying them, they condemned the bullet. Several of us long range shooters explained how well the bullets performed at extreme long ranges but they weren't open to our experience.

I gues I'am just old school, I try never to put something down until I try it.

I wish you well in your quest for 1 mile shooting and if I can help in anyway please let me know.

Thanks, Vern Harrison
Old 09-28-2003, 01:58 AM
Bronze Member

Vern, thank you for the reply. I do appreciate the continued help this site provides. It seems one of my favotite sites Beartooth bullets, is fast becoming, second place. There are folks constantly bashing this long range thing. Even though there are a few guys hunting long range there.
Most everybody is spewing the same stuff, can't be done, and the wrong bullet etc. I doubted or did not understand how to do this, I doubt I spend the dollars for the real long range stuff.But if I can shoot minute of moose,at long range,maybe 800 or so yards, then I will be very happy for a long time, I bought the LRH videos by Boyd and Butch. Those answered a lot of questions. First I will shoot out the Savage 300 rum, then I am thinking about the 338 lapua, or the 338 rum. I am still uneasy about a single shot rifle in the hunting fields. Just something I will have to work through!
Thank you for the continued support though I really do appreciate it.

John
Old 09-28-2003, 06:27 AM
Silver Member

Half Breed and Whistle Pig
I know when I first heard about long rang huntin I was intreaged and skeptical. Thanks to guys like D.C. Boyd, Butch and a few others I have seen the light. I have a target on my wall down stares with a 6.7 inch group and a score of 99. Made a believer out ame
Old 09-28-2003, 07:36 AM
Bronze Member

halfbreed if you are concerned about a single shot wich I also am mostly due to a pack of hogs chasing me up a tree once when I was bow hunting, Get a supermatch m-14 type. They were made for the 168 smk and also can use a 20 rd mag. I built my own on a budget but I think it is even better than the factory ones. It is sub minute of prairie dog to at least 800 yards so I bet that would be a good moose stopper or whatever else you want to hunt. I have gotten hogs, moose, deer and a couple elk before with it. There are also a lot of doubters out there that think the 308 is not big enough for big game but I know better. Most of the doubters usualy carry huge magnum calibers and when they do hit something do so much meat damage they lose most of the meat. I guess that may be cool to some people to see a leg blown clean off but I hunt for meat and prefer to save as much as I can but also want a clean quick kill. With proper loads and careful shots the 308 can do it way out there. The M-1 garand is a fine accurate weapon too and is said to have just a tad more reach out and touch em than the m-14. It holds 8 rounds though. Are you into military types at all? I was in the service for 15 years so I kinda got used to them and now that is all I use. Oh I should have mentioned before about the power of the smk. It is what military snipers mostly use in their m40a1's and m21or m24. It works for them too. I guess I shouldn't have been so hard on it and may try it again. Maybe my experience was just a fluke. Who knows?