Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Match King Kills - Pictures please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2003, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member

Match King Kills - Pictures please

I have searched the site for pics of match king kill pics but there are too many posts to sort through to find them and not enough time for me to look. So due to all the hoop-lah on multiple boards about matchkings ineffectiveness i though it might be a good idea to post as many pics on one thread so it can be referenced to the non-believers.

This debate was most recently on Benchrest.com--and surprise, surprise--it was actually a nice exchange of ideas, not ignorant dumbasses calling names and swearing impossibility. Its amazing how the quality of membership effects the tone of a thread--this is pretty well emphasized when the topic comes up on more general hunting/shooting boards.

Go over to br.com if you get a chance--its a pretty good group of people, like the ones on here!!

ANYWAY--post pics of exit wounds, mushroomed bullets etc along with range, velocity, carteridge data. Whatever useful info you guys have to back up the effectiveness if matchkings. Also pics of matchkings gone wrong--if there are any.

Links to past posts will work also if there are good pics already posted and you know where they are.

please post as many pics as possible for my own use and as a reference for later discussion.
TIA

Jason

[ 09-26-2003: Message edited by: jb1000br ]
Old 09-26-2003, 09:24 AM
Silver Member

Re: Match King Kills - Pictures please

Jason,
I'm not sure even pictures will help. These folks are always ready to debate and comment on something they have never tried.

For years I had to defended the 1770 yd shot I maded in 1993 Varmint Hunter Magazine contest. I met alot of nice people and brought alot of folks in to the sport, but it always started out as "BS it can't be done".

I have only killed one deer over the thirty years with anything other then a SMK. No matter how many articles in VHM & PS magazine about our extreme ground hog hunting in Va. there's all ways one that steps up and say BS. So this will apply to deer hunting with SMK's as well.

One thing I have learned is to shake it off and move on. Until these folks try it, they will never beleive it. I'm getting to old and cranky to deal with it anymore.

My 2 cents worth, Vern Harrison

Someone once said call no man an idiot we are all ignorant in one subject or another, Amen.
Old 09-26-2003, 05:14 PM
Platinum Member

Here's a picture of a recovered 338 cal. 300 SMK.

Distance to moose... 439 yards... initial velocity of bullet 2750fps.

Whitetail buck wound... ~170 yards 300 SMK muzzle vel. 2750fps

If it doesn't show try the link:

Bullet from recovered from moose
http://the-king-family.com/UserPages...ges/300SMK.jpg

Exit wound on 225 pound whitetail deer
http://the-king-family.com/UserPages...taBuck_smk.jpg

[ 09-26-2003: Message edited by: Dave King ]
Old 09-26-2003, 07:28 PM
Platinum Member

Chris Jamison had a few of his deer.

Boyd put the 8 Point I killed at close range on here.

All were withj Match Kings.
I'm not sure what archive it's in?

Later
DC
Old 09-26-2003, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

Here ya go D.C...
Old 09-26-2003, 08:24 PM
Bronze Member

I am one who will never use them again. 2 years ago I fired one (168 smk .308 ) from a m1903 at 100 yds at a doe and the darn thing zipped clean through the heart and kept on goin. The doe ran about 2-300 yards around the pasture and stopped about 150 yards from me before I got off another one and hit the head dropping it. Last year I got a 9 point buck with one , again clean in the heart with my m14 and it ran about 200 yards across a fence to anothers property. I ain't about to incriminate myself saying what happened next but in texas here you are not allowed to cross a property line without permission to retreive wounded game. Never, ever , ever, cross a fence to retreive game in texas unless you got 350 dollars to pay the county judge. Don't ask me how I know.
Last year also I got a deer and a hog, both fairly large with a then new to me handload using a 168 barnes xlc coated x in my m-14. Both were perfect heart shots like I normaly strive for and both hit the ground like a sack of potatoes exactly where they stood. The hog twitched a little but that was it. The knock down energy of the barnes is really impressive. If the sierra match bullets would take a critter off it's feet I am sure it wouldn't get back up and I really have no idea what the difference between the two is regarding knockdown power. I just know I am sticking with the barnes for hunting from now on. My rifle shoots them more accuratly too. Not knocking the sierra because I have rifles that shoot them equaly as well but the heavy barrel m-14 that accompanies me on most hunts prefers the x bullet. You ought to see the mess it makes of a prairie dog at 800 yards.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:48 PM

Here is a doe I shot at 130 yds with a 240 gr SMK from my 300 Tomahawk at an inital velocity of 3150 fps. She dropped on the spot.