Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

match bullets on game

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-17-2007, 01:27 AM
Berger VLD vs SMK

As Eric mentioned there is no 270 Berger available yet. How does the VLD compare with the Sierra Matchkings? The results I am having seem to be consistent with the VLD bullets tested in the article recommended earlier. The normal result of a medium to long shot (200 - 400 meters) with the 85gr and 135gr SMK seems to be instant death with acceptable meat damage even when shot in the shoulder. Small entry holes that must be searched for and often no exit hole but massive internal trauma. I see Sierra offer no bonded bullets so why not run a test on their matchkings like Berger did. The article on the Berger bullet really impressed me. I have not yet had a SMK fail on me and I have now shot 21 buck ranging from 50 - 350 lbs and some with tough skins too. Two of my really big Kudus dropped on the spot and one went on about 15 yards.

Unread 08-20-2007, 04:36 PM
Platinum Member
Goodgrouper has experience that I don't with .338 mk's on game. It is my belief that the 300gr should be devastating on game as big and heavy as Elk, but I haven't had a chance to prove it. Another .338 x .378 Wby shooter in the area told me about an experience he had at the range a while back. Shooting the 300gr bullets at 2750 fps m/v, he shot 5 holes through 1/2" steel plate at 400 yds. Got mad, went home and welded the holes up, went back to the range and set up at 600 yds and shot 5 more holes through the plate.
On our range, that's as far away as we can get, so now he only shoots paper with that rifle.
Goodgrouper didn't say if he was using the 300 grainers, (the plate puncher is), but it sounds like grenading isn't a problem with them.

A friend KO'd a buffalo bull in New Mexico with a .340 Wby I built for him (with Nosler 250 gr partitions). I wonder how the 300 gr mkhp in one of the bigger .338"s would handle Tatanka?

Texas State Rifle Association Life Member
NRA Endowment Life Member

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Unread 08-22-2007, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by specweldtom View Post
Goodgrouper has experience that I don't with .338 mk's on game. It is my belief that the 300gr should be devastating on game as big and heavy as Elk, but I haven't had a chance to prove it.

Darryl Cassel swears by this bullet for killing elk at 2000 yards and has reportedly killed many far elk with it. However, he is no longer here to ask unfortunately. Anyone know how to get ahold of him?
Find it
Range it
Click it
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Unread 08-22-2007, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member
Try this:
Unread 08-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by goodgrouper View Post
I have only experience with the 338 MK's on game, but my experience tells me that they are just the opposite of what has been said here. Instead of being a fragile bullet likely to blow up on the surface of an animal, they were more like FMJ bullets with little to no expansion. However, at extreme long ranges when angle of attack is very steep, they probably have a much bigger tendency to tumble which can be very deadly to game.

If I were to use them again on game (which might happen soon) I would surely aim for bone and forget soft tissue vitals. That way, if they tumble or not, they still break the animal down immediately.

I will say also that their terminal ballistic characteristics (in media) are more inconsistent than any other bullet I have ever tested. But again, this is with the 338 MK which admittedly and obviously has a thicker jacket than the other SMK's.

This is very interesting about the media performance thanks!! My shooting with the 250 SMK mostly and in the 338 Lapua has resulted in truckloads of dead feral hogs over the years. I am moving to the 300 because I have over 1k of them bought for a competition rifle and need to use them. The impacts are between 250 and 600 yards give or take a few.

Have killed a few coyotes and whitetails with the 155 Palma bullet and so far all exited and killed the anmial.
The Truth Is Not Always Good For Business!!
Unread 08-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Platinum Member
actually i think his e-mail is now i know this add will work.

i also know he won't say anything bad about the 300SMK for game!
Unread 08-22-2007, 05:33 PM
Gold Member
Originally Posted by Eric Stecker View Post

The title of your thread compels me to respond. I of course can't help you with the SMK however our Berger Match VLD have been very successful on big game. I'll gladly send a free 30 minute DVD showing what our Match VLD does when used for hunting. Send an email listing your interest in the DVD and your shipping address to For more on this we were recently written up in the August 2007 issue of Handloader.

We do not have a 270 cal bullet right now but will have three different weights made in the next few months.

Eric Stecker
Berger Bullets
Thank you for the video. i just got it in today its a great video thanks alot.
i wish you made some 338 300gr bullets with a high BC. thanks again