Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

match bullets for deer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-28-2007, 03:54 PM
Bronze Member
Re: match bullets for deer

thanks for the replys seems like what happened isnt as rare as i thought was very intrested to hear of other peoples experinces i will go for a shoulder shot next time if i cant get close enough for a head or neck.
thinking of it now the bullet sliped between the ribs never thought of that before.

Unread 05-29-2007, 03:36 PM
Silver Member

I'll throw in my two cents...While I agree 100% with jwp that animals don't feel pain the way humans do (you will NEVER see a person standing in a buffet line with a broken leg flopping around like a deer feeding in the middle of a field). Of the few animals that I or my children shoot that are not a bang-flop, we generally shoot until they stop moving; unless they are down and on the last breath...

Many people personify animals as a way to explain/understand their actions. If it bothers us to see an animal "suffer" because of what we do, we have about 3 choices; live with it, try to lessen/shorten the suffering, or quit; which some do. I do my best for the bang-flop but understand sometimes with a "perfect" shot, that doesn't happen; so I live with it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] This is where the ugly "E" word comes into the conversation. Inside the letter of the law we are free to choose how we do what we do and only need to live with ourselves... that's what I like about this board, we're generally accepted for those decisions whether others agree or not.

Thanks, nothing I said is intended as a flame toward anyone so please don't read it that's just up to each and every one of us to decide the cause and effect of our actions and then live with those decisions. I have been criticized(sp?) many times for shooting gophers; "you don't eat what you kill, that's wrong." I don't have a problem with it, I sleep well at night. But that's my decision.
Genises 27-3: Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison...
Unread 05-30-2007, 06:57 AM
Silver Member

I don't know how the animal feels about a lung shot that doesn't kill them fast ,but this is still faster than a wolf will kill them. I do care about the animals and I make it my goal to kill them quick. I don't want to see them suffer if you want to call it suffering and I want it to end for them fast but these are my feelings about the matter not the animals. I am not a bow hunter for three reasons, I want them to die quicker than an arrow does it and I absolutley hate tracking an animal I will not give up so I would like them close to where I shot them. And I don't like setting in tree stands. That being said I have no problem at all that others bow hunt. The bottom line is no matter how we kill them it is better than starving to death of fighting the big bad wold etc.

Unread 05-31-2007, 07:04 PM

Take it easy there cheesy! I don't like letting them suffer any more then the next guy. I try to put them down as fast as possible.But remember, when you hunt with a gun you are putting holes through their bodies. Think about it, are you really thinking of how the animals feel when you do that? Sometimes, Mr. Sensitive, they don't just magically die. You do everything you can to kill them on the spot and yet they just want to live. It happens man, get over it. The guy sounded like he was beating himself up over the situation. I was trying to tell him it wasn't his fault(kinda, he did shoot the thing) and he did what he could.I'm sorry but that is part of hunting sometimes. Have you never shot an animal and it run off and died? If you have hunted for any length of time then you should know. And as far as the comment I made about shooting the herd of doe. The point is you can't judge a bullets performance off of one shot. Or I may not be married to the awesome wife I have now! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
And no, I have never been shot through the chest and gurgled in my own blood. But I have held a friend of mine who was...and I stop by to see his wife and children every chance I can. So you can shove you compassion!