Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Making decision on new gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Making decision on new gun

If you want barrel life, get a .308 Win.....10,000+ rounds.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
If you want barrel life, get a .308 Win.....10,000+ rounds.
yea but I want some power!!! lol
Old 07-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Platinum Member

Stick a Berger 210 VLD stuffed with 39.1gr of Varget in a Lapua case with Federal 210M primers, and seat it to the lands.....I get 2,400 fps out of my Rem 700 5R, which has a 24" 5R rifled 11.25" twist barrel.

But if you want power, with decent barrel life for a hotrod....7mm STW with Berger 180 VLD's, H1000, and Fed 215M primers seated to the lands. I have had my STW for 11 years and still have the same original Sendero SF barrel still on it, and it still shoots 1-ragged hole groups.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 07-17-2013, 02:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Stick a Berger 210 VLD stuffed with 39.1gr of Varget in a Lapua case with Federal 210M primers, and seat it to the lands.....I get 2,400 fps out of my Rem 700 5R, which has a 24" 5R rifled 11.25" twist barrel.

But if you want power, with decent barrel life for a hotrod....7mm STW with Berger 180 VLD's, H1000, and Fed 215M primers seated to the lands. I have had my STW for 11 years and still have the same original Sendero SF barrel still on it, and it still shoots 1-ragged hole groups.
The STW is interesting what kind of speed are you getting with the 180's
Old 07-17-2013, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragman View Post
The STW is interesting what kind of speed are you getting with the 180's
Right @ 2,900 fps. It would be a very capable 1,500 yard rifle for deer with that load. There's some guy shooting the STW over a mile (1,650 yards). It can be loaded a good bit hotter than I do, but at the time I developed my load, brass was scarce, and mine was running out of life. Now that I have tons of brass I think I might try to step it up over the 3K mark.

There's several guys who are getting over 3,200 fps with that load, but higher powder charge, and claim it's a safe load.

Quote:
Old 07-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The 7mmSTW can last 1,500-2,000+ rounds.

The .280 AI can last over 2,500 rounds.
MudRunner, what are your references that a 7 STW will last 1500-2000 rounds? I have burned out a 7RM in a little over a 1000 rounds and guys are burning out 7 RUMs in about 500 and the STW is right in bweteen. So if this guy goes with a 7 STW and burns it out in 800 ronds, are you going to pay for a rebarrel? I think you should. I think it's mis-leading and irresponsible to be saying things like this which you do often. You say you've got 1500 rounds through yours and it's still shooting good. Good for you. That is far above normal round count for a 7 STW. There is no way that a 7 STW is going to get longer barrel life than a 7 SAUM which has less case capacity, a sharper shoulder and longer neck. No Way!

So if you're going to continue to spread this misinformation you need to be offering a guarantee to rebarrel for the guys who listen to you and burn their barrels out much quicker than you're telling them.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 07-18-2013, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
MudRunner, what are your references that a 7 STW will last 1500-2000 rounds? I have burned out a 7RM in a little over a 1000 rounds and guys are burning out 7 RUMs in about 500 and the STW is right in bweteen. So if this guy goes with a 7 STW and burns it out in 800 ronds, are you going to pay for a rebarrel? I think you should. I think it's mis-leading and irresponsible to be saying things like this which you do often. You say you've got 1500 rounds through yours and it's still shooting good. Good for you. That is far above normal round count for a 7 STW. There is no way that a 7 STW is going to get longer barrel life than a 7 SAUM which has less case capacity, a sharper shoulder and longer neck. No Way!

So if you're going to continue to spread this misinformation you need to be offering a guarantee to rebarrel for the guys who listen to you and burn their barrels out much quicker than you're telling them.
+1, if all 7 stws could go 2k, EVERYBODY would be shooting them, especially in competition.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/