Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

make my decision for me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 07:13 AM
Platinum Member

Re: make my decision for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter15 View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I was leaning towards the 300 RUM pushing 210gr Bergers to begin with but just couldn't finalize the decision. This gun's purpose will be for a broad range of uses that go from the longer (800-1000yd) shots on whitetail, pronghorn, and muley's to mid range shots (600-under) on elk. Of course those are all just planned yardages and we all know how things like to vary from the "plan". So in the end I need a general purpose rifle that will kill an elk @ 1000 yds and I think the 300 RUM is more than capable. Keep the opinions coming!
Not really much to add. The Rum will meet your needs very well.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:39 AM
Platinum Member

The RUM will suffice. The Lapua will outperform you expectations. You can get the Lapua to shoot as flat if not flatter than the RUM with 225-250 grain bullets, many of wich still have good b.c's. I really like the 300 RUM, but when you go bigger it just gets better.

Then the actuall rifle comparison. You cant even compare the quality of a Senduro to an Accumark. Wby wins hands down. The action is stronger, smoother, and has a shorter throw. The Accumark is about ideal for a hunting rifle when it comes to weight, not to heavy and not to light. That being said, the Wby is also alot more $$$ and they have almost 0 aftermarket parts.

The Remington is good, actually the Senduro's are great, especially for the price.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Gold Member

The weatherby accumark is a awesome rifle and I have had several, but trying to lapp 9 lugs in to full contact instead of 2 is tough. The reason I would go sendero is if it doesn't shoot great out of the box it will usually be easier to get it to shoot excellent. Weatherby's seem like if they don't shoot excellent it's more of a chore to get them there. Just find a sendero 338 Ultra that should be easy.....
Old 07-18-2012, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member

300 Win Mag load with 230 Berger's at 2700 fps! Out of your choices, 300 RUM with 230 Berger's!
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 07-18-2012, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highridge1 View Post
The weatherby accumark is a awesome rifle and I have had several, but trying to lapp 9 lugs in to full contact instead of 2 is tough. The reason I would go sendero is if it doesn't shoot great out of the box it will usually be easier to get it to shoot excellent. Weatherby's seem like if they don't shoot excellent it's more of a chore to get them there. Just find a sendero 338 Ultra that should be easy.....

The thing is that I have never seen a Wby Mark V not shoot well out of the box.