Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Major Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 06:55 AM
Silver Member

Re: Major Problems

A lot of good advice but first off it would help to know what cartridge you are shooting, and does the recoil physically hurt you.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:08 AM

Mostly my 7mm Mag (no muzzle brake) and a recently purchased .338lm (with muzzle brake). First shots are typcially pretty good which is obviously agreeable with most hunting scenarios; it's the follow-up shots that I start to have problems.

Reminds me when I bought a horse as a young man and asked the cowboy "can you shoot off this horse?" and he quickly responded "yup" and with great delay followed up with "once".

I don't feel that the rifles are hurting me, at least at the conscious level...
Old 05-09-2013, 07:34 AM
Gold Member

i think the rimfire advise from an earlier post is good. spend alot of time behind
a 22. just shoot at cans or whirley targets forget groups. dont try to be perfect just relax and enjoy it. dry firing in my opinion is mostly for those looking to (improve) their coordination especially the offhand position.
you are concentrating too hard in my opinion. it aint hard and nobodys perfect.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:42 AM
Silver Member

The way you found it is a good way to fix it. Load or have someone load a couple dummy rounds. Mark them so you can tell them apart from live rounds. Take a friend and let them load it random with live and dummy rounds. Dry fire a couple times first then really focus on that trigger pull. Try not to focus on all problems at the same time it's too much to try and break all the bad habits at one time. It's a lot easier with a friend to help you in each area, they can watch you breath, your trigger pull, make sure your position is the same ect... you can relearn. Shooting rimfire a lot is also excellent. You can practice at home too, go threw all the steps and dry fire. I respect you more admitting you have a problem and asking for help then being the tough guy that can never quite shoot the way they think or say they can and always have an excuse for every miss. There are many too tough to ask. If you ever make it to Idaho I would be glad to help. If you need dummy rounds let me know I'll make them. You've made the next step in being great, good luck.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:50 AM
Silver Member

The problems in points #2 and #3 of your original post are/were some of my biggest problems as well.

I agree with what was said earlier about taking 5 minutes to relax on the gun before shooting targets at the range, it has worked well for me.

I also then relax my face and shoot with both eyes open. I've only recently started doing this and it seems to help, takes a little practice to "see through" the double vision effect you get. I'm not sure about all the pros and cons of 1 eye vs. 2 eyes but it seems to work for me. Might be a good thread topic...

-The flexibility of your adaptability is the true measure of your intelligence-
Old 05-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Platinum Member

I found it helps to dry fire. But you must make the scenario as real as to taking a shot as you can. If you can get into your "real shot" state of mind when practicing you can overcome your real hurdles. Just mindlessly dry firing wont help. Try very hard to make yourself belive its live rounds when practicing.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:56 AM
Platinum Member

Thats the only thing that has helped my flinching with big guns