Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Made some gong targets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Gold Member

Re: Made some gong targets

Pretty cool. Nice work.

Barnesuser - just reading over your posts over the years, at your young age, I hope you give some serious thought to becoming a mechanical engineer. Your background and hands on experience, coupled with a solid education, would make you an asset to any engineering firm. Probably sounds a little random, but I've been thinking about that for a while now. I've been a mechanisms/structures engineer in the aerospace industry for a long time, and we need more guys like you. So maybe just tuck that thought into your back pocket as you continue to get older.
Borden Timberline 300 Win Mag - Hart 26" #4 fluted - McMillan A3 Edge - Jewell Trigger - ATACR
Old 06-06-2014, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber338 View Post
Pretty cool. Nice work.

Barnesuser - just reading over your posts over the years, at your young age, I hope you give some serious thought to becoming a mechanical engineer. Your background and hands on experience, coupled with a solid education, would make you an asset to any engineering firm. Probably sounds a little random, but I've been thinking about that for a while now. I've been a mechanisms/structures engineer in the aerospace industry for a long time, and we need more guys like you. So maybe just tuck that thought into your back pocket as you continue to get older.
Thanks Timber, lately i have really been considering being a gunsmith, and building long range rifles, my Dad has a building i could use, and knows how to run CNC machines so he could show me, also, my uncle builds his own rifles so he could show me some tricks and save me some headaches.

Riley

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 06-06-2014, 11:26 PM
Gold Member

That's great. I view the gun industry very much like the aerospace industry in that it is a specialized niche where you use mechanical engineering practices. And if I had it to do all over again, with 20/20 hindsight, I very likely would have had more fun building rifles.
Borden Timberline 300 Win Mag - Hart 26" #4 fluted - McMillan A3 Edge - Jewell Trigger - ATACR
Old 06-07-2014, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

Love shooting stell also. That 1/4 plate even at 700 yds will look like swiss cheese in no time. But you got a welder ,fil up and shoot'em again .
Old 06-08-2014, 05:28 PM
Gold Member

Yeah 1/4 doesnt hold up real well at medium range, i welded my plate up multiple times before i switched to 5/16. I also started using chains to hang my targets after shedding yards of paracord, but when the target is held from the back of the plate like yours are they usually hold up for a good while.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member

I set up the 1/4" at 1581 yards and put three rounds of 30/375 si on it and one round of 284 win and the 284 didnt even take the paint off and the 30/375 si took the paint off with no dents except for one hit right on the edge, which bent it quite a bit. I set the 1/2" at 547 yards and put several rounds of 284 win and 30/375 si on it but i havent taken a look at it yet.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 06-08-2014, 08:51 PM
Gold Member

Your a bad dude riley!