Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Made a mistake, is it a problem???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2004, 09:20 PM
Silver Member

Re: Made a mistake, is it a problem???

Just keep an eye on the primer pockets leaking. If they leave a black ring on the bolt face, it'll start to erode a ring into it. Eventually, it'll crater the face under the primer entirely. This is one of the signs of wear to look for on a used gun to see how much it was shot.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:17 AM
Platinum Member

Kyle,

I read it the same way Dave did, first run were overloads...

Compare the CCI to the Win in virgin brass and again in the overloaded ones, this will tell you how different they feel going in if the CCI is larger.

Now deprime (cci) them virgins, or shoot the primer out and load with the opposite primer (win) to tell if it in fact "scraped" the hole larger.... or your first run was overloaded.

I have some Rem primers that basically fall out of my 454 Casull brass, new Starline stuff. Anything else works, tight. Probably still setting in th cabinet. If they are I'll mic 'em too.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:51 AM
Silver Member

I did the virgin brass test and got the same result. The CCI was a tight fit and then the Win a not so tight fit going in after the CCI. The I reversed it and the Win was a nice snug fit but the CCI going in after was still a tight fit. What a pain in the arse.

I will shoot them mixed and see if accuracy suffers. Just when you think you have the loading and everything just right, you have to tinker with something and then everything gets tossed in the air. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Thanks,
Kyle