Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Lunarlope Reservations Available

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2006, 01:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Lunarlope Reservations Available

The real problem is that I have a leaky faucet that is driving me crazy and it was more fun taking stupid pictures than tryng to cure a 60 year old faucet. Of course when my wife got home from work she wanted to know why the faucet was still leaking. Being partially deaf comes in handy every once in a while. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

What I needed was a light shooting platform that could be packed in for a day trip and back out in the evening with all of my other gear. Shooting from prone with a bipod is usually not feasible here in the east. Having tried to work up a tripod that was steady enough for 1K ranges I found they were just too heavy. After drafting up several different designs and looking at weight issues, I happened upon a Coleman “high stand” for about $30 and it is rated for 100 pounds of weight. It is 28 inches tall and is used from a sitting position. The stand by itself is a little rickety so when putting the top together I installed the hooks so they would keep everything under tension and fully locked. I epoxied a small piece of 2X4 onto the ¼ plywood and then epoxied in a threaded rod coupler into the 2X4. This allows one to attach a front rest onto a threaded rod and adjust the height of the front rest to shoot uphill at pretty extreme angles. The front rest platform is an old hose hanger that is all aluminum and was lying in a corner of the lawn mower shed. It bolts onto the top of the threaded rod. I haven’t quite finished trimming it down to the minimum size but the aluminum doesn’t weigh anything.

A couple of poly pellet bean bags are needed which also weigh nothing. I think I am fixing to learn how to run a sewing machine.

I have not yet located a good “free” carrying bag for it to fit into (REI has plenty but they want some money for them). At the current time it weighs just under 7 pounds. I am considering a fixture for a spotting scope and/or range finder but haven’t figured out how to do that.

Old 03-29-2006, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

Today I gutted a bear , skunk , black and tan dog , and a fawn . All the innards were used for the same project . So, what am I doing ?

Jim B.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:52 PM
Platinum Member

You have been picking up my bad habits and raiding your wife's collection of beanie babies. Look at the belly up raccoon under the pistol grip. My wife doesn't usually raise her voice much when she is mad but that really lite her fuse.

This is a failed experiment that lead to the desire for a table

Old 03-29-2006, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member

Also notice the really extreme up hill angle. No way a bipod will work.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member

Give the man a seegar !!

You have just won your choice of a ss rem takeoff bbl in 300 winnie or a sako/browning takeoff bbl in .243 . Either one was said to be a still viable bble by the smiths that took them off.

And no ! I would never stoop so low as to steal my wifes precious belongings . [image]http://[/image]

I just bought my wife a new eelektronik sewing machine . Using it is closely akin to flying a Hawker Harrier . I've no doubt she could do so [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

What size should these reincarnated beanie babies be ? I got mine from a garage sale and I have abot 50 of them for 2 dollars . [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Jim B.