Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Luepold custom shop or Kenton Industries for turrets?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Silver Member

Luepold custom shop or Kenton Industries for turrets?

Since Leupold also offers you the choice of what kind of turret you want cut for your load, I am thinking about getting them to make one up instead of Kenton Industries, who still haven't answered an email I wrote last week.

Has anyone used the Leupold Custom shop turrets?
Will Leupold just send you a turret or do you have to order it at the same time as the scope?

Thanks.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Luepold custom shop or Kenton Industries for turrets?

I have a turret from the leupold custom shop. I've shot it out to 1000yds and it's been on at all the yardages. You can call them up anytime and order turrets. I think they were about 40 dollars
Old 11-20-2009, 08:52 PM
Bronze Member

Myself and three friends all sent our Leupold scopes in and had the M1 BDC turrets put on them. So far each one has been pretty well on at all the yardages engraved on the custom M1 turret.
I am putting together my LRH system (7mmRM semi-custom) with a Leupold scope on it. I have been looking at Kenton as they do offer an option of creating a turret built around more comprehensive and precise data and actual "click measurement determination" from your particular scope, if one wants to go through the data accumulation process. I'm thinking that something a little more precise to the specific rifle and cartridge might be beneficial at ranges beyond 600 yds. Leupold simply takes the vital statistics of your chosen ammo and some of the generic environmental conditions and thats about it. Within most "normal" hunting conditions within the usual 100 to 350 yard range, the Leupold works OK. Not sure that would be my choice once you start puttings legs on the shots.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:04 AM
Silver Member

To get the perfect BDC turrent you should shoot your load at 50 to 100yd increments to 1000 yds, record your data on the sheet from Kenton and pay a few more bucks and have it done by Kenton.

Leupold is cheaper, and using the velocity and BC of the bullet your shooting, will get you a turrent that is pretty darn close, but at 600 to 1000yds the BDC might be off a click or two. Plus, myself and one of my buddies have recieved custom turrents from leupold that were screwed up. I don't know who is running the lazer engraving machine at leupold, but I think they are being paid minimum wage.

Then you have the Redneck option. Buy some heavy duty medical tape at Wal-Mart and a couple fine point sharpies in different colors. Shoot your rig at all distances and make your own BDC turrent with the tape. Shoot your rig in this configuration to make sure thats what you want before dropping the $$$ to have it engraved. I just finished six days of rainy deer hunting in Mo using the aforementioned Redneck custom turrent and it held up perfectly.

Smacked a big 12pointer with 7mm Rem mag, 180 Berger @3000fps at 1500yds. OOOOPS! Sorry, it was more like 150yds. But hey, I was ready for a long shot!
Old 11-25-2009, 03:02 PM
Bronze Member

I have one of the Kenton caps on my custom 300 RUM..i have only shot to 500 yds as of yet, but it is dead on up to that range.........I like the Kenton ind. turret cap because of all the info they ask for.......it is made for THAT rifle, THAT load.......at 1000 yds, precision is the game......do the range work, pay the $$$$$ and have no regrets.......rsbhunter
Old 11-25-2009, 04:21 PM
Bronze Member

I just had one made by Leupold. 60 bucks and it was delivered in a week and a half. I gave them cartridge, velocity, bullet, bullet weight, ballistic coefficient, elevation and temperature. It came with everything engraved on the turret. I went to JBM ballistics and checked out the MOA drops and they are right on the money to 1000 yards. I haven't shot it yet to verify, but think it will be very close because I've used the JBM range cards before and they were very, very close.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:48 PM
Bronze Member

Older thread... but fyi.

I had leupold create a turret with all my range card data that I gave them.... Each MOA reading I supplied, they engraved the said yardage that corresponded with it.

I knew it was right because when I got it, I counted the clicks. I never supplied bullet or bc or weight as far as I know.