Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

The LRKM is Just about ready for production

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Sponsor

re: The LRKM is Just about ready for production

I won't lay out how we did certain things or how we overcame certain obsticles so that someone else can duplicate our R&D work (3 years worth), but I will tell you that no one to my knowledge has made a bullpup design this short before so no no one else has proven the design that I am aware of. We designed the complete trigger assembly, linkage, and remote trigger from scratch. The tube simply bolts to the stock with 2 bolts. As far as keeping the scope and barrel pointed in the same direction, based on the accuracy and repeatability we are seeing so far I have no concerns there. Point of fact the design has side stepped some accuracy issues associated with conventional designs. I nshort it incorperates all of the features and design ideas I have always wanted in a long range rifle, performance points - 3100 fps, 1/4 MOA, single digit ES, not temperature sensitive, totaly repeatable and still retains the ability to fired accuratly from positions other than prone. To this end I could not be happier with the finished product. Hope this answers your questions while keeping in sight that certain things I just am not taking pictures of or telling about, sorry.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 03-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Sponsor

Shooting the LRKM from offhand, no support, no sling. 100 yards very comfortable and almost perfectly balanced, the balance point resting right between your hands.

3 shots at 100 yards, first group fired offhand from the LRKM, I will shoot some 5 and 10 round strings to see how the almost 16 lb weight effects long term position but for a few rounds very stable.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 03-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Silver Member

Great offhand shooting. What an innovative beast!

Old 03-03-2012, 01:28 PM
Platinum Member

Great job, same position I was taught in HS, smallbore, can be effective as you have shown when practiced.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Carlock View Post
I won't lay out how we did certain things or how we overcame certain obsticles so that someone else can duplicate our R&D work (3 years worth), but I will tell you that no one to my knowledge has made a bullpup design this short before so no no one else has proven the design that I am aware of. We designed the complete trigger assembly, linkage, and remote trigger from scratch. The tube simply bolts to the stock with 2 bolts. As far as keeping the scope and barrel pointed in the same direction, based on the accuracy and repeatability we are seeing so far I have no concerns there. Point of fact the design has side stepped some accuracy issues associated with conventional designs. I nshort it incorperates all of the features and design ideas I have always wanted in a long range rifle, performance points - 3100 fps, 1/4 MOA, single digit ES, not temperature sensitive, totaly repeatable and still retains the ability to fired accuratly from positions other than prone. To this end I could not be happier with the finished product. Hope this answers your questions while keeping in sight that certain things I just am not taking pictures of or telling about, sorry.
Maybe I've been here too long, but didn't Dave Wilson build a bullpup Edge on a Russo laminate a few years ago that was shorter?

IIRC his was 40" with a 29" barrel.

I love the LRKM, I just had to razz you a bit.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:09 AM
Sponsor

He started his about the same time I had the modular bullpup idea (we even trade notes about design issues) I remmeber the rifle but don't remember it being any shorter, I could be wrong though. I beleive he ran a 29-30" barrel and shorter brake with modified XP100 trigger linkage.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 03-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Silver Member

Make it an AutoLoader and Barret will go out of business. A rifle that can shoot out to 2K yards (or so) and can also be fired off hand.

I am not going to lie. It looks like a red headed step child. It is UGLY, some color will help it out. I do not believe (as you said) looks matter when you have a rifle of this ability. But i would be embarassed to take it to the range until i could shoot it well.

Seriously though think about trying to market this to the Military. You could replace the Rem 700's and most of the barrets. (Make a 50 as well and you might run them out of business)

I am just curious as to the final price of this machine.

I am a poor college kid so it will be out of my price range.