Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

LR shooting,"flyer" question!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2014, 09:31 AM
Bronze Member

LR shooting,"flyer" question!!

Went shooting yestersday zeroing my new Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X56 on my 7mm. Im shooting 168gr Berger VLD's, Win brass, Win mag primers, 65.5gr IMR7828, 3.415oal, 3080fps. Anyways, I was only shooting at 200yds, I would put 2-4 rounds between 1-11/2" apart then a round would be 6" off in random places. I stretched it to 600 yards off of sand bags-- rounds nearly on top of each other. Then BOOM a round would be 3-feet off in random places!! I almost through a temper-tantrum at the range like a little B$%#h! Any ideas? My hand-loads being inconsistent? Barrel heat? Me? My ex-wife cursing me? PETA causing natural forces to move my rounds?

Thx
Old 08-11-2014, 10:38 AM
Gold Member

Re: LR shooting,"flyer" question!!

Action screws
Scope ring screws
Base screws
Bedding
Inconsistent trigger
Barrel heat
This is my checklist when things go to crap....

an armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians

know guns,know peace,know safety.no guns,no peace,no safety...

The second amendment is in place incase the politicians ignore the others

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

For those who trade liberty for security have neither Benjamin Franklin...
Old 08-11-2014, 10:47 AM
Gold Member

My checklist too would include:
Scope ring screws
Base screws
Action screws torqued evenly and tight ...
Bedding
Inconsistent trigger
Barrel heat would be waaaaay down the list for the kind of off target strikes you describe.
Sand bags are, IMO, perhaps the worst type of rest for load testing. But if you don't have a good rest (something like the Caldwell Rock) then sand bags will have to do.
How are you supporting the butt of the rifle?
Where is your left hand when you fire the rifle?
Flyers are often associated with rear bag placement/pressure. When a hand is used in place of the rear bag the problem can occur there too.
PETA influences don't make you miss; they blow up your rifle and Ex-Wives just bend the barrel so the muzzle points back in your directtion.

American rifleman's triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:14 PM
Gold Member

This might be a dumb question, but is there any pattern to the flyers? Do they occure at random intervels? Do they hit at random places on target or would the flyers all land, say , high and right or low and left, ect.?
Old 08-11-2014, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member

First thing to check is the "headspacing".

ie, is it you or is it the gun? You have to answer that question before you go tinkering with the gun.

Have someone else shoot it to see if it is the gun first!

Often you can relax your grip, put cheek pressure or something else to cause a flyer.

After that there is a laundry list of "could be's".

Start with double checking bases and rings, action screw torque, pressure on the bedding etc.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:31 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post
This might be a dumb question, but is there any pattern to the flyers? Do they occure at random intervels? Do they hit at random places on target or would the flyers all land, say , high and right or low and left, ect.?

good question.... they were either left or right!! elevation was pretty consistent
Old 08-14-2014, 07:35 PM

I had a similar situation with my 22-250 ended up being the scope base shifting. Hope you get it sorted nothing more frustrating that mystery fliers.