Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

LR Muzzle Loaders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Silver Member

Re: LR Muzzle Loaders

Unfortunately there is only so much you can do with a muzzleloader. Our season in Nebraska is the entire month of December with unlimited statewide tags. A person can have 2 tags that allow a buck to be harvested and as many antlerless tags as there are available in an area. I continue to push my ML hunts but there aren't that many people interested in them even though it can be an excellent time of year to hunt deer.

I've seen just as many bad shots with a muzzleloader as I have with archery hunts. Alot of it is the smoke and boom but some credit goes to the guys on TV blasting away at 300 yards.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:13 PM
Silver Member

I've shot regularly to 400yds and occasionally to 500yds. Running a 250gr bonded shockwave at 2880fps. The come ups are spot on day in and day out, the wind is another story.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by distantfoe View Post
I've shot regularly to 400yds and occasionally to 500yds. Running a 250gr bonded shockwave at 2880fps. The come ups are spot on day in and day out, the wind is another story.
Sounds like you are using smokeless powder, if not please share your load.

I think Liltank was talking about black powder .

If not sorry !!!!!

J E CUSTOM
Old 04-06-2009, 11:32 PM
Silver Member

Distantfoe,
Do you get consistent accuracy at these velocities? Kirby and I had a discussion about trying to get a ML built to shoot as far as possible and from other people's experiences the sabots available get inconsistent accuracy at the speeds you are talking about. However, I have no personal experience and an ML that could consistently take deer at 400+ yards would deffinately interest me.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by distantfoe View Post

Please share some more info on this set up. I would be interested in what you are using for load.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 04-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Silver Member

Aren't we all. I have a T/C encore and would like it a lot more if I could pull that off. What powder & how much? What M/L are you using?
Old 04-23-2009, 10:28 AM

I don't know about all these "wanta-be muzzleloaders" but my flintlock works just fine to about 100 yards, after that it's anyone's guess. I shoot a flintlock I built myself. It has a 1:22 twist so I can shoot the TC hunter type bullet. The lock is a timed Siler lock with Davis set triggers. It's a .50 cal. so I shoot the TC maxi-hunter with 100 grains of 3F. I know the book says 2F but this rifle likes the 3. It has iron sights and drops about four inches at 100 yards. I must admit that I have not had the occasion to actually shoot a deer at this distance most are between 50 and 75 yards. With the tuned lock there is no discernible difference between a caplock and my flinter provided the flint is sharp and not too much priming power. Just thought I'd but my two cents in. Now I guess I'll go back and introduce myself to the group since I just signed on.