Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Lost River's J36 terminal performance?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2006, 09:30 AM
Bronze Member

Lost River\'s J36 terminal performance?

Going on a moose hunt this fall in Newfoundland and I am wondering if anybody out there has used the J36 on anything elk sized or bigger? I'm curious how that particular bullet reacts to something the size of a moose. I know it's tough to find a load that shoots accurately but I'm willing to spend the money to find a load that works. Not a huge choice of bullets for my .358 STA.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Lost River\'s J36 terminal performance?

Terminal effects on elk at various ranges including longrange have been good from local reports I've heard.

I have had no accuracy problems with them in 270 cal.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:53 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks Roy. I just don't want the bullet to come apart if I have to take a quartering away shot. That's probably 5-6 ft of moose to penetrate to hopefully get an exit wound. I know the cartridge generates enough energy to get the job done if the bullet will hold together.

If anybody else out there has used it or heard of something, please post a message.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:58 PM

you will never have to worry about the J36 coming apart. They are known for their superior BC's and penetration. I have shot a couple elk and deer with them and bone doesn't stand a chance let alone traveling through a moose quartering away. For moose I'd stick with the J36 but for future info they just developed the J36-D which is the exact same bullet but with a Delron(polymer) tip. It is meant to start its expansion sooner and at lower velocities so I tend to think it will be a great long range bullet at lower velocities. I wish I had them to try on my last Coues deer hunt but shot him instead with the J36. Again, hit bone and dropped him in his tracks.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:22 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
you will never have to worry about the J36 coming apart. They are known for their superior BC's and penetration. they just developed the J36-D which is the exact same bullet but with a Delron(polymer) tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

My only complaint w/the J36 is a) price, as I've been uncomfortable with shooting economical bullets all year then switching to J36s for the hunting season. Seems I should be a little more dedicated and become more comfortable with that arrangement. a 2)I've had to pull a couple of J36s with the inertial bullet puller (hammer type) the tip always became dislodged. Wondered about that.

Other than those two things which are pretty minor I've got along with them well.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:11 AM

Roy,
That's interesting because I have the RCBS puller and have had to pull a few bullets and have never had that happen, not to say that it couldn't, but that's the first time I've heard that. My friends and I have used them alot and no one has brought that up. How many times has it happened and if multiple times were they from the same box? Maybe something happened to that batch.
I just like them because for a hunting bullet I've never had anything come close to them in accuracy. I am no physicist or ballistician but I would attribute this to their incredible BC's. Roy, do you have any other recommendations in HUNTING bullets that match Lost River's (LRB) accuracy or has your experience been the same? I too am looking for that ultimate LONG range HUNTING bullet and so far this is the best I've found. I like the SMK and Berger but I still can't get the same pinpoint accuracy as the Lost River.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member

I do not mean to highjack but:

Can anyone post what type of 416 cal bullets they make and their BC/price? I can not access their web site. Thanx