Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

losing elevation when dialing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 12:07 PM

losing elevation when dialing

Recently, when shooting at 500 yards with my Millett TRS-1 4-16X atop my rem 700 .308, I noticed the rounds impacting 2.5 MOA low on a recent shoot. Iíve shot at this distance and greater several times and my data from JBM has always been dead on as far as elevation is concerned. I dialed back to my 100 yard zero and shot several rounds at 100 yards to check for a tracking issue. No issues here. The scope returned to zero almost perfectly. How did I lose 2.5 MOA in adjustment at 500 yards in just a couple weeks? Same Ammo, nearly identical weather conditions. Iím not familiar with the internal workings of the scope or how the elevation turret works. Iím hearing definitive click when I rotate the turret although it has always been a little mushy. Any ideas?
Old 09-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: losing elevation when dialing

which model number do you have?

I notice something similar with my Millet scope. Mine is supposed to have 1/8min clicks but it seems more like its 1/10 min clicks. 100yrd zero equals 3moa drop at 300yrds, I have to dial up 4moa for it to be on, but using the reticle to hold the 2.5moa it subtends and my rounds hit exactly .5moa low
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 09-10-2012, 03:36 PM

Not sure about the model number, but it does use 1/4 MOA adjustments. I'm confused because this hasn't been a consistent problem. The 1/4 MOA adjustments were right on up until just a couple weeks ago. Now i'm hitting 2.5 MOA low at 500? I'm wondering if something is slipping inside the elevation turret. I'm thinking of returning to Millett for repair if i can't diagnose the issue.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:54 AM
Silver Member

First off, don't just assume it is the scope. There are a lot of other variables to consider. Atmospheric conditions can make a huge difference in poi. Take it out and shoot it some more. Put some of your ammo on ice in a cooler and keep some pretty warm. Compare the drops of the two. A lot of the difference may come from temp. Humidity can also affect poi. You said it returned to zero, so it is probably not the scope. Shoot quite a bit more and see what happens.

Kids are great, beer is good, and people are stupid.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffP40 View Post
First off, don't just assume it is the scope. There are a lot of other variables to consider. Atmospheric conditions can make a huge difference in poi. Take it out and shoot it some more. Put some of your ammo on ice in a cooler and keep some pretty warm. Compare the drops of the two. A lot of the difference may come from temp. Humidity can also affect poi. You said it returned to zero, so it is probably not the scope. Shoot quite a bit more and see what happens.
Don't think so.....Lets assume for argument that he is shooting the 168 berger at 2600. You would need to drop down to under 2300 to lower impact points my 2.5 moa.

Temp.... I max out my seirra program (130f to -30f) and am around 4 inches of change.

There is not enough humidity on earth to make much difference at 500 yards.

Also, if he is using a comp program to figure his come ups, he is probably already imputting the enviromental conditions.

It is either a garbage in garbage out situation with the program or a scope issue.

Just my .02
Old 09-11-2012, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member

Don't forget parallax--just another part of the checklist.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Gold Member

Here's the cure: NIGHTFORCE!!