Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Looking for Opinons! good and bad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Gold Member

Re: Looking for Opinons! good and bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidWalleye View Post
I live in Eastern MT, little town by the name of Glasgow. anyone around these parts?
I am about 450 miles east of you in ND 5 miles from canada, 30 miles from MN. I have 3 different smiths that I work with....One in La Moure, ND, one in Central MN, and Clay Spencer out in VA.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

Isn't Kirby in MT?
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

If he's still there, there was a very good gunsmith in Timberlake SD years ago who did great work in a small shop on the farm.

Saw quite a bit of his work he'd done for a couple of friends in that area.

You could call the chamber of commerce there and ask if he's still around. His shop was about ten miles out of town or so off of the highway to Mobridge.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidWalleye View Post
ok like i said i am very new to this world!! please explain if you can or have time.

ok i have done some research on Fire lapping. from what i have read it increases accuracy in the short run but shortens the life of the barrel in the long run.

I am assuming you are refering to this being a bad thing because of the shortened life of the barrel. i guess i am wondering how much this shortens it? is it from 10,000 rounds to 5,000, 5,000-2,000, 1000-500?

thank you

Gary
Gary,

1. NO 30-378 has a barrel life of 10,000 rds, or any other centerfire caliber for that fact. Maybe 1200 if your lucky. However, I would bet on 800 or so.

2. Fire lapping is absolutely not needed for any match grade barrel to include Shilen. They are hand lapped before they leave the mftr.

3. Custom chamber normally means expensive custom dies. Did not see that on the list.

IMO is see a lot of expensive BS on that list.

FIND ANOTHER SMITH if he is telling you a Shilen needs to firelapped.

If you are looking for that class range and ballistics buy the new savage 338 Lapuas for under $1500 ready to go.

You need some trigger time shooting at distances. A 30-378 is not a cheap learning tool. You will learn a lot more for a lot less money with the savageand then you can sort the BS from reality. Plus it will out shoot you for the first 2 years in all probability

Model 110 HSC MSRP is $1549
Old 12-02-2011, 09:47 PM
Silver Member

Call Chad at Long Rifles @ 605-490-2561. You won't find a better gunsmith imho
LongRifles, Inc.
Wes
Old 12-02-2011, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
Gary,

1. NO 30-378 has a barrel life of 10,000 rds, or any other centerfire caliber for that fact. Maybe 1200 if your lucky. However, I would bet on 800 or so.

2. Fire lapping is absolutely not needed for any match grade barrel to include Shilen. They are hand lapped before they leave the mftr.

3. Custom chamber normally means expensive custom dies. Did not see that on the list.

IMO is see a lot of expensive BS on that list.

FIND ANOTHER SMITH if he is telling you a Shilen needs to firelapped.

If you are looking for that class range and ballistics buy the new savage 338 Lapuas for under $1500 ready to go.

You need some trigger time shooting at distances. A 30-378 is not a cheap learning tool. You will learn a lot more for a lot less money with the savageand then you can sort the BS from reality. Plus it will out shoot you for the first 2 years in all probability

Model 110 HSC MSRP is $1549
Good point.

For someone needing lots of trigger time a much better option would be to start with a nice .260 or .308 win in a bolt gun.

The savings in ammo alone would pay for it in a year.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

Kirby Allen is as good as it gets w/re to long range smiths. He's in Fort Shaw.

Check out his website at Home Page

I have one of his MONSTERS, words cannot describe them.

I agree with the other guys, get something less than the 30-378 if you haven't shot at long distance before. A 300WSM would be a GREAT learning tool.

Hope this helps,
AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives