Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Looking for Opinons! good and bad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Looking for Opinons! good and bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidWalleye View Post
ok here is the jist of what i got in repsonce to asking my builder about him fire lapping the gun.

"As a standard all our barrels are fire-lapped! It dramatically improves accuracy, our cryo helps to reduce wear by 45% or more and improves performance!"

Gary
I repeat what I said above. Forget this guy and go with someone who knows what they are doing and isn't too lazy to do the job correctly.

Take a look at Len's customs, call Kirby Allen or any of the other reputable builders here.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Platinum Member

Improves performance from what to what? My preference is for folks who guarantee a certain level of performance in a meaningful way, namely will this set up produce .5 moa, and is this claim something the builder stands behind.
When someone speaks to me in marketing terms I get anxious, "dramatically improves accuracy" from what to what.
Modern barrel making is pretty good, routine firelapping is not only non productive it will eliminate any help your likely to get from the barrel maker should you get the odd bad one.
I'll repeat the advice, checkout other options beginning with Len's at the top of the page, and moving through the guys that sponsor here, the extra time at worst gives you a better handle on communicating with whoever your working with now.
To this point in the conversation, at the very least you're not representing this smith very well, and at worst you could be setting yourself up for real disappointment.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:54 PM

i am not trying to represent anyone in this thread!! i am simply posting the info that was given to me via email thus far in my relations with the builder. i have spoken with this builder and a few of his customers who seem to be VERY please with rifles that he has built.

I would love to speak with more smiths and learn as much as i can about this before i dive into spending the amount if money it takes to get a custom built. i will look at the others here and elsewhere before i drop the coin on a rifle.

Thank you all for your time

anymore opinions are greatly appreciated!!!

Gary
Old 12-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
i am not trying to represent anyone in this thread!! i am simply posting the info that was given to me via email thus far in my relations with the builder. i have spoken with this builder and a few of his customers who seem to be VERY please with rifles that he has built.

I would love to speak with more smiths and learn as much as i can about this before i dive into spending the amount if money it takes to get a custom built. i will look at the others here and elsewhere before i drop the coin on a rifle.

Thank you all for your time

anymore opinions are greatly appreciated!!!

Gary
Just remember kid nobody here has an interest in who does your work. We're just trying to steer you in the right direction so you come away with a great rig.

Len and the site sponsors who build rifles will all take very good care of you and you will then be part of our community of long range hunters for a lifetime.

Also check out the classifieds right here at LRH. You can find some great rigs at very, very good prices.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:10 PM

I VERY much appreciate all of the help!! this is exactly what i am looking for. Like i said from the start this will be my very first long range custom! I more then anyone want to get a great rifle!!

Thank you all VERY much!!

Gary
Old 12-02-2011, 04:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I VERY much appreciate all of the help!! this is exactly what i am looking for. Like i said from the start this will be my very first long range custom! I more then anyone want to get a great rifle!!

Thank you all VERY much!!

Gary

Gary,

What part of the world are you from? You may be next door to one of the best and not even know it. or, maybe next door to one of the fine shooters on this website. We will try help steer you into the path of righteousness...........

I wasn't initialy going to run you off from your original builder....but, now, I kinda am. I'm sure he does what HE thinks is right, but...I meen really, firelapping a new custom tube.....I shure N-L wouldn't try it...I get shivers down my spine just thinking about running those bullets down the BBL that won me this years national championship......BRRRRRR...is it getting cold in here?
Old 12-02-2011, 05:29 PM

I live in Eastern MT, little town by the name of Glasgow. anyone around these parts?