Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Looking for Opinons! good and bad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 11:11 AM

Looking for Opinons! good and bad

Hey guys im new here and just looking to break into the long range rifle family.

here are some specs and ballistics I have got from a builder and was wondering what you guys thought.

Thank you in advance for any and all information and opinions

Gary

Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Looking for Opinons!  good and bad-new-rifle-1-001.jpg   Looking for Opinons!  good and bad-ballistics-001.jpg  

Last edited by KidWalleye; 12-02-2011 at 11:23 AM. Reason: more info

Old 12-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Silver Member

Re: Looking for Opinons! good and bad

My opinion, looking at the build sheet, I see firelapping included. I would find a new builder, good barrels are hand lapped from the manufacturer. I would have to question anybody who would automatically " fire lap" a new barrel.

JMHO

Bob
Old 12-02-2011, 11:41 AM

ok like i said i am very new to this world!! please explain if you can or have time.

ok i have done some research on Fire lapping. from what i have read it increases accuracy in the short run but shortens the life of the barrel in the long run.

I am assuming you are refering to this being a bad thing because of the shortened life of the barrel. i guess i am wondering how much this shortens it? is it from 10,000 rounds to 5,000, 5,000-2,000, 1000-500?

thank you

Gary

Last edited by KidWalleye; 12-02-2011 at 01:20 PM. Reason: More info
Old 12-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
My opinion, looking at the build sheet, I see firelapping included. I would find a new builder, good barrels are hand lapped from the manufacturer. I would have to question anybody who would automatically " fire lap" a new barrel.

JMHO

Bob
BINGO.....That was the first thing that cought my eye....also, I am trying to figure out what a "custom 30-378 Accumark action" is. Is he going to use a WBY action and have it accurized? I am not a smith, but I was under the impresion that there wasn't a whole lot that can be done to a WBY action.

But I quit reading after the word firelap.

My advise......hang around here for a month or two.....crawl through the older threads...see what the guys are shooting. Ask a bunch of questions.....we were all beginners at one time. For me it was long enough ago that ALGORE had not even invented the internet yet!!!! As on any fourm you will need to have the BS detector close by. But all in all...Like the PGA golf commercial from a few years ago....."THESE GUYS ARE GOOD!!"

My other advice...if you are going to pay for a "custom action"....buy a custom action......BAT, Lawton, Borden, Stiller, ect..ect.... I'm not sure what your cost will be on an accurised WBY would be, but if it is anywhere close, go with a true custom. Resale on a custom is at least...AT LEAST.....75%....usually much higher. Factory actions have a pretty good resale, but you will loose on the "custom" part....it will gain you nothing. If you are set on a factory WBY, do a little research on exactly what can be done to them to make them better. Make sure you are getting your moneys worth.

Not quite sure about the big assed balistic chart....everything past 1500 is just fluff....compleatly usless for all but the very best of the best with the right equipment!!!

I am not going to tell you to find another smith. But the truth is.....firelapping is for factory BBLs that are KRAP. I would never firelap a custom...and only as a last resort with a factory. ASK YOUR SMITH...PUT HIM ON THE SPOT.

Good luck with your build, and have BIG fun!!! And welcome to the fourm!!
Old 12-02-2011, 01:42 PM

the builder has already been asked and am waiting on a reply.
and yes he is going to take the MarkV action and accurize it. from the best of my understanding!

this is just a beginning Work Order. nothing has been started yet. i am trying to find out all that i can before saying this is what i want lets build it!!

Gary
Old 12-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member

Fire lapping? Really? For new custom?

Without insulting your Smith let me suggest you contact Len or one of our resident gun builders who will actually do a complete job for you for a reasonable price.

Welcome to the world of long range hunting and shooting.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:00 PM

ok here is the jist of what i got in repsonce to asking my builder about him fire lapping the gun.

"As a standard all our barrels are fire-lapped! It dramatically improves accuracy, our cryo helps to reduce wear by 45% or more and improves performance!"

Gary