Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Looking for LongRange shooting schools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 07:10 AM
Silver Member

Looking for LongRange shooting schools

I have been shooting (not hunting) out to 400 yards and can put together a 1.3 inch group at that range with my semi-custom Remington 325 WSM. However, I have recently had a long range rifle built by a well known gunsmith that is designed to shoot consistently at 1000 yards plus.

Obviously, when you start shooting out to greater distances, the game changes somewhat. To that end, I am looking for advise on long range shooting schools/ classes that are attuned to hunters and are reasonably priced.

I have searched the internet and found many listings but most seem to accomodate para-military and police snipers and are therefore very expensive and not necessarily geared toward the hunter's needs or mentality.

I live in VA but would be willing to travel (within reason) if necessary to attend the right school.

Would appreciate input from anyone familiar with any of these programs.

Thanks, Havingfun
Old 01-03-2010, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Looking for LongRange shooting schools

You mentioned not wanting to travel too far. I'm not sure there's any LRH classes in your neck of the woods. Having said that and I know it's further than you'd like to go but, Shawn Carlock according to reports I've read runs an excellent school. I think it's at least worth looking at...your decision. Here's the link: Classes 2009

Last edited by Chas1; 01-05-2010 at 07:12 PM. Reason: no email notification
Old 01-03-2010, 09:21 AM
Silver Member

Chas 1,

Thanks for the input. I actually have his instructional DVD and would love to attend his class given the resources to do so. Probably my number one choice at this point. Not out of the question but will try to find something closer if possible. Excellent DVD by the way. Just enough to let you know what you're getting into. His cost is very reasonable too.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Silver Member

Quantico has long range matches in the summer. Find out the schedule and attend a match. ask around there and I'm sure you will find the answers you seek. I went to school there but I think you may not be able to commit to that particular school
Old 01-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member

Vernon Harrison runs an extremely good LR shooting school here in VA. Central Virginia Tactical. Contact him.

http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com/

He is retired SF and alphabet agency sniper who trains civilian, military and LE on his range which steel targets out to 1200-1400 yds. The principles are the same; reading the wind, ballistics, basic shooting skills etc. No training on stalking, gillie suits etc, all shooting related.

Tom Sarver at Thunder Valley in Ohio runs some steel matches and one on one training also. His range goes to over one mile on steel and paper targets.

http://www.ohio1000yd.com/

The quantico shooting club runs unofficial fclass matches the first sunday of the month that are open to anyone. shooting at 800, 900 and 1000. come and try it. It is not run by the official NRA rules, shoot what you bring and basically that is it. You can check their website for the match schedule.

http://www.quanticoshootingclub.com/

BH

Last edited by BountyHunter; 01-03-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Gold Member

Could always throw a post up and see if anyone is in your area that is on here. Learn a little from then plus you will gain a huntin buddy.

I've learned allot from hunting with a few members on here....and got my fingers on some nice toys also!!!

Try to find the ones that won't sell everything they own (aka gunsmiths) buyin all their stuff really hurts the bank account.
As does the ones that have all the latest and greatest gadgets and guns cause once you touch them you have to have one (aka russo's).

Now we do have a custom T-shirt maker that actually saves us all money each year...I figure he probaly saved me bout $6.00 last year by makin me a custom shirt

Anyway good luck with your LRH...It's a blast I don't regret getting into this one bit! If you wanna travel to PA you would be welcome to go out with us this summer....We try to dispatch varmint multiple times per week
Old 01-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Silver Member

Great information from everyone. Didn't know I had such resources so close at hand.

I already intended to join the Gun Club at Quantico since I'm a DoD employee and live within 60 miles of the base but I didn't know about the other schools in the area.

The Central VA Tactical looks like a perfect fit too.

That's what I love about this forum. Good people with good info. I have been on other forums where a simple question gets a rash of almost violent discussions where personalities become more important than the discussion at hand.

Thanks again for all the help.