Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Looking for a good rangefinder.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 09:09 AM
Gold Member

Re: Looking for a good rangefinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pard View Post
Well what I mean is how far can you range deer in the worst case scenario. I can justify 750-800 for a rangefinder if it really out performs the 300-400 ones.
It can and will,(leica 1600) better to spend a little more the first time,than spend it later when you find out the cheaper model dosn't get you what you want. Jmo

Old 12-31-2012, 09:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pard View Post
Well what I mean is how far can you range deer in the worst case scenario. I can justify 750-800 for a rangefinder if it really out performs the 300-400 ones.
There is no comparisons to the less expensive units. I have compared the Leica's next to my Vectronix on game (antelope and elk). Don't be fooled by the less expensive units with the large beams. Just because they give you a number does not mean it is an accurate range to the animal. Some RF's just grab something more reflective, but the question is what? A 6 or 8' beam at 1000 can get you in trouble. If a guy is giving a report saying a RF will range a deer at 1000, and he is only using the unit he is reporting on, I say how do you know what it was ranging? I put them up against a Vectronix PLRF10 and the " 1000 yard deer ranging RF's" are soon discovered to be liars. The Leica 1600 has the smallest and most precise beam of any of the under $1000 units. And even smaller than one of the $1600 units.

I have seen some Leica 1600's selling under $700... I would do some shopping for the best deal.

Jeff
Old 12-31-2012, 10:13 AM
Silver Member

I spent a lot of money on lesser LRF's before settling on the Vectronix PLRF-05.

Primal Rights • Primal Rights -- Vectronix - Terrapin
Old 12-31-2012, 11:08 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
The Leica 1600 has the smallest and most precise beam of any of the under $1000 units. f
Hey Broz
Just courious what is the beam width of the nikon 1200. I cant find it in print. I have been trying to find a reason to get a leica 1600 but have not yet done it other than the longer range capability. I tested the leica 1200 when I bought my nikon and it was not able to pick up cows at 900 yards I was able to get. If I was infact mesuring the cows.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
There is no comparisons to the less expensive units. I have compared the Leica's next to my Vectronix on game (antelope and elk). Don't be fooled by the less expensive units with the large beams. Just because they give you a number does not mean it is an accurate range to the animal. Some RF's just grab something more reflective, but the question is what? A 6 or 8' beam at 1000 can get you in trouble. If a guy is giving a report saying a RF will range a deer at 1000, and he is only using the unit he is reporting on, I say how do you know what it was ranging? I put them up against a Vectronix PLRF10 and the " 1000 yard deer ranging RF's" are soon discovered to be liars. The Leica 1600 has the smallest and most precise beam of any of the under $1000 units. And even smaller than one of the $1600 units.

I have seen some Leica 1600's selling under $700... I would do some shopping for the best deal.

Jeff
I also discovered this factor a couple of years back and really cut back on 1000 yd misses by ALWAYS USING A TRIPOD for the RF. Basically cut elevation misses to 0 with a swarov 1500. We went from my leica 1200 to the swarov and elevation misses became more common(Mainly because the leica was easier to aim I believe). We stuck the 1500 on a pod and voila. I still hate the swarov though and will replace it with some binos at some point when I see a deal on some.
Remember the advice you are giving that you got off of the internet and don't REALLY KNOW works might cause a miss or a wounded animal or a dead hunter. Please for the sports sake be 100% sure when you post something.
Per the NRA "long range STARTS at 600".
If your gun kicks get a brake....and some muffs. Unless your a masochist then its ok. Except you won't shoot as well.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:22 PM
Silver Member

This fall in bright sunlight I could consistently range pronghorns on the skyline to at least 1100 with my leica 1600B, sometimes farther. Sitting in camp there was a rock on a hillside I could hit every single time in low light at 1993 yards. I had a tough time spending the $$ but I'm glad I did, I think it will be a while before I outgrow it.

Bob
Old 12-31-2012, 07:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkan View Post
I spent a lot of money on lesser LRF's before settling on the Vectronix PLRF-05.

Primal Rights • Primal Rights -- Vectronix - Terrapin
Im going to second what Broz & organ are saying here, I too have a many RF's in my shooting room that all work fine but none of them are equal to my Vectronics.....what pushed me over the edge was the beam divergence of my Swaros on antelope and oryx hunts.....one time in particular comes to mind where I could not get an accurate reading, sure I got a reading but knew it was not right as I was getting a 150yd reading from an oryx that I knew was at least 450+. I have a buddy with a Leica 1600 and in my semi-informed opinion it's the next best thing! I have used and or been around most of the ones being discussed here including the bushnell 1600 ect and the next best thing is the Leica 1600, next is my vectronics PLRF-05 followed by the PLRF-10 ( and that I can't afford)