Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

looking for a good 7 WSM long-range hunting rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 03:27 PM

looking for a good 7 WSM long-range hunting rifle

I'm going to get started reloading soon and I'm leaning toward a new gun in 7mm WSM for long range hunting and possibly tactical competitions. I've read a lot of threads on the relative merits of that cartridge vs. .300 WSM, and 7mm mag. I am having a heck of a time finding a rifle with a medium or heavy contour barrel (26-28"), removable box mag, and preferably a synthetic stock, that won't break the bank. For hunting, I like the Browning X-bolt Long Range Hunter, but it isn't offered in 7mm WSM, and it wouldn't be ideal if I wanted to use it for tacitcal competitions. Does anybody have any suggestions for a different rifle? I'm not afraid of carrying a little weight. Thanks!

Last edited by tdizzle; 11-09-2013 at 04:03 PM. Reason: change subject line
Old 11-09-2013, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: looking for a good 7 WSM long-range hunting rifle

the remington sendero was made for a short time in 7rsaum
Old 11-09-2013, 09:23 PM

That's a good idea. I hadn't thought of that. I looked at the new senderos with fluted barrels. It has everything I want including an aluminum bed. They don't have it in 7WSM, but I'm starting to reconsider my caliber selection after reading a bit more. Might just go with 7mm Rem Mag. The only thing I don't like about the 700 is the safety, and the hinged floorplate mag. I like the Browning safety and a detachable box mag. If I could get the x-bolt long range hunter with an aluminum bedded synthetic stock, that would be ideal. Starting to wonder if I shouldn't just buy the gun and buy and aftermarket stock for it.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:07 PM
Silver Member

You should be able to find a used a bolt eclipse. That pushes you into just about everything you desire. Most 7wsm rifles are in great shape used. My experience guys just move on to something else fairly quick. 7wsm is my favorite of all the short mags. Hit gun broker... usually several used 7wsms , some even semi custom
Old 11-09-2013, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
I'm going to get started reloading soon and I'm leaning toward a new gun in 7mm WSM for long range hunting and possibly tactical competitions. I've read a lot of threads on the relative merits of that cartridge vs. .300 WSM, and 7mm mag. I am having a heck of a time finding a rifle with a medium or heavy contour barrel (26-28"), removable box mag, and preferably a synthetic stock, that won't break the bank. For hunting, I like the Browning X-bolt Long Range Hunter, but it isn't offered in 7mm WSM, and it wouldn't be ideal if I wanted to use it for tacitcal competitions. Does anybody have any suggestions for a different rifle? I'm not afraid of carrying a little weight. Thanks!
Take a look at the Winchester Coyote Outback or outback lites. Just what you are looking for.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Take a look at the Winchester Coyote Outback or outback lites. Just what you are looking for.
Wild Rose: That looks just about perfect. Thanks for the input!! I'm looking at the Winchester website, and it doesn't show 7mm Rem Mag or 7 WSM in the caliber options under the "specs" tab for the Coyote Light. It's not showing the Coyote, so I'm guessing that's no longer in production. Do you know if they have either of those calibers available? I could go with a .270 WSM, but looking for a 7mm Rem Mag to take advantage of some of the higher BC bullets. Also, there has been some speculation on blogs that Winchester's quality has improved since being bought by FN. What do you think? Is it probable or not likely that I'll get a sub-MOA production gun?

Last edited by tdizzle; 11-10-2013 at 02:59 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-10-2013, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
Wild Rose: That looks just about perfect. Thanks for the input!! I'm looking at the Winchester website, and it doesn't show 7mm Rem Mag or 7 WSM in the caliber options under the "specs" tab for the Coyote Light. It's not showing the Coyote, so I'm guessing that's no longer in production. Do you know if they have either of those calibers available? I could go with a .270 WSM, but looking for a 7mm Rem Mag to take advantage of some of the higher BC bullets. Also, there has been some speculation on blogs that Winchester's quality has improved since being bought by FN. What do you think? Is it probable or not likely that I'll get a sub-MOA production gun?
Go to gunbroker and enter "winchester coyote" in the search feature.

I've seen both the 7wsm and 300wsm's. These are only made in the short action so you won't find them in 7mm mag or 300wm.

Great little rifles though. I'm still toying with the idea of picking one up on .325wsm.