Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Looking to get new scope for big game rifle! Need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 06:26 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Looking to get new scope for big game rifle! Need advice

Quote:
Why do recommend to go with the SFP? Most people's reviews I see say to go with the FFP.
I'm probably the odd ball here (again). But, I'm usually on max or min power.

Max power when conditions are good and I want to aim small
Min when something may appear up close or light fades

Either way, I prefer my reticle to stay the same size and don't rely on subtension under adverse conditions. If I can't see well enough on Max power, I either don't need to analyze detail because it's too close or too dark.

I should probably get a fixed power scope with a holographic sight on top. But, as soon as I did that, I'd need an in between magnification for something.

Then again, I may not shoot under as many varied situations and conditions as others.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:49 PM
Silver Member

Being raised with SFP, I think I can mostly address this. For me, I liked seeing a reticle that was always the same. It made me thing everything was the same, only closer or farther away. Not being able to rely on your reticle for hold over / under is actually counter productive, and slows you down.

Here is the deal: At minimum power on Most FFP scopes the reticle gets so small you do not really see any sub-tensions, you mainly see "The Reticle as a Cross in The Center" that you can easily aim with for those really coming at you fast shots. It is painfully obvious "Where You Are AT" in the power range, but it is still absolutely usable as a center cross, which is what you need at 25/50/75ish yards anyhow. Later when conditions are great, you can dial Up and see the reticle perfect and you can use it the way it is meant to be used, *WITHOUT HAVING TO LOOK AT YOUR GD'FN POWER RING!* ...sorry for caps but SFP sucks Chocolate Covered Monkey Balls for this!! When you want, need, must have fast use of your reticle that is accurate at all times that you can see to use it, then FFP is it. To say I have learned to Hate SFP would be a massive understatement. Think perhaps of a few Why Scenarios that would cause me to really feel this way

I will only say, when it bit me in the ass I was out of state on a "once in a lifetime" hunt, and I got a small touch of buck fever, a FFP scope would have saved me from myself. I truly hate SFP now days...SFP is a "liar and a fatmouth!"....heh.

Your mileage may vary!
best of *_luck_* with SFP if you choose it!
Gary
Old 01-20-2011, 11:03 PM

I have also been looking for the same. I also have a Vortex Viper 6.5 X 20 with target dot. Scope has performed as advertised, although I found I dont like the TD on coyotes early and late as much as I like it on Prarie dogs in the middle of the day.

I decided to go with a Leupold VX-3 4.5 X 14 AO with M1 turrets. A couple of spec differnces led me to my decision. 1) Weight/Length. The viper in that magnification range is nearly 2 inches longer and 1.5oz heavier. 2) eye relief Viper 3.1-3.4 inches, Leupold 3.7-4.4inches. Might make a differnce if having to shoot from a odd position 3) Made in the USA. New Years resolution is to buy American when possible and if not possible to buy from a true US Allie.

Best of luck with your scope search and hunt.

Badley
Old 01-21-2011, 01:16 AM
Silver Member

Actually you may want to double verify that the Leupy *IS* made in USA. Increasingly they are really not made here. If it does not say right on the scope Made in USA.... Just saying.

Now, US Optics on the other hand are most definitely made here in the USA

Gary
Old 01-21-2011, 10:44 AM

I was speaking specifically of the VX-3 line. I believe they are still built right... built here.